The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

7540 sleep issues

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ccvortex, May 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey all, just picked up a new 7540 but I noticed that after setting up my power profile the laptop is still going into some kind of hibernation after what seems like a couple of hours. I have all sleep and hibernation settings disabled same as I do for all of my laptops.

Win 10 Pro for Workstations, build 18363, BIOS is 1.8.2.

Thoughts?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can fully disable hibernation from an administrative command prompt.
    powercfg -h off

3. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Yeah I just did that, am waiting to see if it works, thanks tho.

4. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Still going into sleep/hibernation... any other ideas?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Do you know which it is?
    With sleep the power button light should be "pulsating"... with hibernate it would be completely off.

6. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Power light is on steady.
    Monitor is off, which is normal, I have that set to 30 minutes, but when I move the mouse nothing happens for a few seconds then I see the DELL logo on the black background and the small loading circle animation as it boots/wakes up.

EDIT: I found a BIOS setting that says Prevent Sleep, so I'll try that.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  7. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I was just reading a post about a very similar issue with Latitude 7400s on r/sysadmin - maybe the same is true for the 7540?
    "...immediately after booting up the laptop, while it is at the login screen, it will sleep after 1 minute. If you log into Windows, the laptop will sleep after 4 minutes. You can not override this with the Window 10's power settings. So if you set the laptop to never sleep, or to sleep after a half hour, it will still zonk out at 4 minutes.
    Sleeping is baked into the hardware, and there is no way dictate when the laptop sleeps, is what we were told. There is a setting in the BIOS where you can completely block sleep all together. But that does exactly what it says, it removes sleep as an option completely."​

ccvortex likes this.
  8. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Thanks Alex.
    I let the laptop sit for 3 hours and the bios setting seems to have worked, I'll let it sit overnight just to be sure. If the above is true, that's is really stupid, not sure wtf DELL is thinking, there is literally no point in disabling it. I never use it, not on any computer I have owned in the last 10 years. I would erase the drive and start over with a new copy of vanilla win 10 but I already have it all set up.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    If this is true, it is dumb. Anyway, why would there be a different timeout depending on whether Windows is logged in or not? The BIOS should not be able to tell the difference.

10. ccvortex

Reputations:
    Well, it's confirmed for my unit at least, there's no way to prevent sleep from the OS. The BIOS switch is the only way. Still debating erasing the HDD and starting over with a vanilla win 10 download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.