The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

7740 heat

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jack574, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi. My 7740 gets really hot sometimes - so hot it hurts to keep my hands on the aluminium around the fan outlets in the casing.

Is this normal?

Thanks

upload_2020-6-10_16-21-34.png

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What are you running that keeps the CPU load so consistently high?

Yes I'd say that it is normal for the laptop to get really hot under high CPU load. I've experienced similar with my 7530. If it's been seriously working for a while then it is rather hot to the touch especially on the bottom/back side and the keyboard is noticeably warm as well.

You can disable turbo boost and that should reduce clock speeds to the 2.x GHz range and cool it off some... but of course things would be running a bit slower. (Windows advanced power options, set maximum CPU utilization to 99% instead of 100%; also, make sure that the power slider that pops up when you click the battery on the system tray is not set all the way to the right but rather one notch from the right; both of these together will prevent the CPU from entering turbo boost speeds and then you can easily toggle turbo boost on or off by just using the power slider.)

alexhawker likes this.
  3. jack574

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

At the moment, I'm creating optimised media files from 4k clips so I'd expect the CPU to be running at high load.

However, I've noticed the PC getting just as hot when I've been on a zoom call and the CPU has been sitting at around 15%....

I don't mind it getting hot, as long as that's normal. Was just worried it's not meant to be getting that hot. But if it's normal, that's fine with me.

Any thoughts about it getting really hot when it's running at low load?

Thanks a lot

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Repaste, put in on a notebook cooler, use ThrottleStop and undervolt your CPU.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    What CPU temperatures are you seeing under low load? In my Precision 7530 the temperature stays below 50C.

I don't have this issue under low load, like a video conference, the laptop is quite cool. I haven't done any of the suggestions from @senso; I am running with stock cooling, no undervolt, no cooler. (I do keep turbo boost off, unless I need it, using the mechanism described above.)

6. jack574

Reputations:

Actually at low load now, temps are down to around 75 deg C. Just thought it felt hotter.

Anyway, my main question really was whether or not it was getting too hot at full load. Sounds like it's normal, so thanks for the reply.

@senso - thanks, but I'm not into doing stuff like that - thanks for the suggestion anyway

Attached Files:

7. jack574

Reputations:
    It's pretty hot now, when it's not doing a lot.... Does that look right?

upload_2020-6-10_23-28-52.png

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    "Not doing a lot ..." 15% seems small but with 16 logical cores, that is two full CPU cores worth of activity, at over 4 GHz apparently, that will put out some heat. Is this supposed to be idle or do you still have actual background jobs of some sort running?

It doesn't take too much background stuff to start pushing the temperatures up in my 7530 (again why I keep turbo boost off unless I need it).

alexhawker likes this.
  9. jack574

Reputations:
    "Is this supposed to be idle or do you still have actual background jobs of some sort running?" - quite a few things open (2 or 3 different CAD packages), not obviously doing anything significant but I guess there's always Windows services running, Slack, Dropbox, loads of Chrome tabs etc.

"15% seems small but with 16 logical cores, that is two full CPU cores worth of activity, at over 4 GHz apparently, that will put out some heat." - ah ok, cool. Makes sense then. Sounds like all is normal then. Thanks again for the reply - much appreciated.

10. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    If you're working it that hard, then probably yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.