The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

About higher refresh rate screens for M6700

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by PhOeNiX_H, Jul 18, 2021.

1. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I hope you guys are doing ok.

I have a M6700 here that I want to change its screen for a higher refresh rate one (120hz or more). I know mobo has an eDP slot and I also know there is a lot of information scattered in this forum. It's confused with a lot of dead ebay listings, so I'll try to be clear and straight to the point:

-What is the best cost-benefit option I have? Like I said, 120hz is fine, but 144hz is also good.
    -I know eDP slot from M6700 is 50-pin and mostly eDP screens are 30-pin. Is it possible to install a 30-pin one with an adapter?
    -I have a Quadro M4000M installed in it. Is it compatible with eDP screens (with Optimus off)?
    -Is there any LVDs screens available that are 1080p 120/144hz?

Thanks in advance.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LVDS is squarely maxed out at 1080p/60.

If you're looking for 1080p/120, there is an "official" option available. There is a Samsung eDP panel which is 1080p 120 Hz and fits in this system. It is the "3D" panel that was originally offered for sale with this system. You don't have to use the 3D function (in fact I think it has been discontinued in newer NVIDIA drivers) but 120 Hz works fine without it. You need the "3D eDP" cable and possibly the larger version of the display enclosure.

The "3D eDP" cable will fit other eDP display panels but these panels will not mount in the M6700 display enclosure without some work.

An NVIDIA GPU is required for the eDP port to be functional. @TheQuentincc previously had a 4K panel mounted and might be able to comment on this. (I don't think the bandwidth is there for a 4K/120Hz panel though.)

PhOeNiX_H likes this.
  3. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Thanks again for your help. Do you mean those below?

Screen.
    Cable.

And I didn't mentioned, but I'm looking for a 120hz panel for playing games at 120 fps (and be able to see those juicy frames, lol). Is this screen going to work for this purpose? I don't see any reasons why not, but just for confirmation.

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Looks right. Again you might also need the thicker version of the display enclosure as well.
    After you swap panels I believe you will need to reset the BIOS (pull the coin-cell battery).
    And yes, it will work for 120 FPS in games.

5. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Nice. I didn't have any luck finding the display enclosure, though.

So, the default one is smaller?

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    PhOeNiX_H likes this.
  7. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Thank you! Already bought it.

Don't have money for the screen rn, but will do in 1 week or so. I'll definitely post the results here :)

8. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Hey, some news about the "journey", lol.

Screen arrived today and I installed right after. It's working without any issues, but my driver is causing black screen and error 43 (I can see the computer with teamviewer). It boots normally, showing everything without any issues, until reach Windows. If I do a complete uninstall, it shows everything as it supposed to and monitor goes black again right after installing the driver, so I assume it's a driver issue.

I have a Quadro M4000M, btw. I did the driver modification and it was working properly before change the screen, so seems like my modification wasn't actually the right one, lol.

Do you guys have any idea about what can I do? Like, the proper modification to be working with this monitor?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I could solve my problem with a driver from laptopvideo2go. Unfortunately, the latest driver available is from January. Not a problem, since it's working perfectly!

[​IMG]

Thank you so much for your help, Aaron! Screen is amazing, even for a TN.

I just find it weird that old driver just causes Error 43.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021