The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

another order 8600M GT in Vostro 1710 got 8600M GS

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afumado, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afumado

afumado Newbie

Reputations:
    well.. after i read many threads concern with this case, thats mean im not the only one of dell customer who got the mistakes hardware in my order.

in my order and invoice i got from dell sales, it was typed clearly 256MB 8600M GT, i customized from singapore dell website, should be sent into brunei darussalam (even in dell forum they said i cant get my vostro in brunei legally from dell distributor, they only sent XPS and inspiron for their laptop products, in fact there are a lot of vostro in brunei).

after about 2 weeks ordered, im so happy that my vostro coming with great finishing product. all hardware i checked via software using dxdiag and also cpuz. one thing i wondered, i got 8600M GS with 512MB Total Memory, not 8600M GT with 256MB as i ordered.

ru guys who order 256MB 8600M GT got 8600M GS with 512MB too ? or just got 8600M GS with 256MB ? as i know, theres no option of VGA with 512 in vostro 1710. should i keep it or change it with 8600M GT with 256MB :D

yesterday i went to some computer shop, i saw 8600M GT installed on alienware laptop has 1008MB total memory. how come ? as i read in nvidia website, the maximum memory of 8600M GS/GT is only 512MB.

2. JCMS

JCMS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's the shared memory with the system memory. It doesn't incrase performance and you will never use it anyway.

Is your GS with GDDR3 memory? The guy had 256MB with GDDR3.

3. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
    maybe it was the m17x with 8600m Sli?

4. afumado

afumado Newbie

Reputations:
    @JCMS :
    i guess its also shared memory, but i wanna make sure is it shared memory or not. if shared memory, can i disable it so i can know the real memory of it.
    yes, its GDDR3 with GPU freq 600MHz, mem Freq 702MHz 128-bit.

@Vedya :
    its no SLI available on its GPU :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.