The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Best Series/Model for 3D modeling/graphics work

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ias, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ias

ias Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I am about to replace my 4yo Toshiba with a new laptop. I am particularly interested in Dell but i am confused about the specs and differences each Dell series has. My main problem is to choose the model with the right graphics card for my needs.
    I work quite often software such as Rhinoceros for 3d modeling with VRay as a rendering machine. Also, i do some video editing (ok not big stuff though) with Premier and some Flash work.

Can you suggest me a series or model from Dell's range? For specific reasons, i need 15.4 inch wide screen (17 is too big) and i would rather avoid the so famous xps1530 as design-wise i do not like it (my fav range is the new vostro but i think it can not cover needs as it;s a kind of entry level).

Thank you in advance for any suggestion

ps. i am located in Greece (in case that this makes any difference)

2. afumado

afumado Newbie

Reputations:
    for 3d and video or motion graphic stuff, all u need is high processor, memory and also vga. this three parts is very important besides other.

for rendering in 3d with v-ray or in premiere, u need high processor with high L2cache with ram supported. and for 3d modelling u need high vga.

im doing multimedia stuff include 3d model n rendering with 3dsmax and v-ray, with motion graphic also. so far, my new vostro 1710 running well.

its T9300 with 6MB L2 Cache give faster rendering in V-Ray. u can customize upto T9500 with 2,6GHz.

why dont u pick 17inch, you'll got much space for layers when u work in many layers of video editing (After effect / premiere) or flash work while keep video stage viewed 100%. even has big dimension, my vostro 1710 doesnt has big weight, its so lite for 17inch laptop, still fit on my back bag.

for VGA, u can choose dedicated Geforce 8600M GS/GT in vostro, beside u can choose quadro 140 in precision laptop. but i prefer choose 8600 one. u can choose its directx support for 3dmax viewport or its open GL in after effect for fast preview. and if precision laptop gives u quadro 1400 (if they said its not miss printed in their website, just like 8600GT) i would like to choose this one when i ordered my laptop.

3. ias

ias Newbie

Reputations:
    afumado, thanks for the information you provide.

Vostro looks like a very nice series of laptops. In fact (at least aestheticaly) is the one o prefer the most. However, i would rather get the 15 inch screen as portability is a rather important factor for me. Besides i am used to it now with my Toshiba

Despite the fact that vostro is better looking and cheaper than precision, the graphic card is mu main concern. The Precision range has the Quadro FX navidia cards (it looks ot has the 140m and not the 3600m) that it is supposed to be better than the ones Vostro range has. But i do not know if the difference in the end is that big that i should give the extra money for the Precision...

I am looking also the HP 2510w with 2.5 processor as it is a lot cheaper than the equivalent Dells.

4. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Rhino still recommends an openGL graphics card,so get a precision or equivalent HP mobile workstation.

I use Solidworks and the performance with my dual 8800GTX powered 1730 is rubbish compared to the precision M65 I had,and my quadro workstation at work.

5. zx81

zx81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am selling my M90 which is just a few months old, has an FX3500M which is >>>>> than any quadro available in any 15" precision

Are you sure about the 15.4"? I have used that size precision at work and they are not much different weigth/size. The M90 is quite portable.

Details are in the for sale thread if your interested

But anyway, for professional software, look for open GL cert cards. The quadro range are optomised for work, but run games just as well as their counterparts

This is a good reference for GPU power relative to each other:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Grafic-Cards.130.0.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.