The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Buying a Latitude: Questions!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ppdd, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppdd

ppdd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if you can walk me through the purchase process for Latitude notebooks (I know that they are business models). However, all of my experience has been with the Inspiron and Vostro lines. The vostros are quite nice, but I have been considering the latitudes for their superior battery life, and build quality. I know that individuals can buy vostros for personal use and that they have a 30 day return guarantee. So, I have these questions:

1) Will Dell forbid me from buying latitudes since I don't have a business (other than using the machine for my individual use?) I have read some posts on this forum that mention that students have these models. How did they do this? The last time I bought a Vostro (in February), the lady asked me if I had a business.

2) Assuming I can buy one, do these models come with any kind of no questions asked 21/30 day return guarantee (I am in Canada)? The website does not mention this part, so I am assuming this is not available.

3) How about the shipping costs? All my past purchases were shipped free (but they were not these models)? Do I have to ship it back at my expense (and absorb the initial shipping charges) if I do decide to send it back?

Finally, on a spec-for-spec basis, are the latitudes so much better than the vostros (considering that the latter now have the magnesium alloy casing, spill proof keyboard, steel hinges and all)? The latitudes do seem better than the budget vostros, considering they are Dell's top of the line business models that compete with the Thinkpads. Thanks!

2. sh1v

sh1v Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. You can buy a Latitude Laptops even if you are not part of a buisiness entity.

2.I am pretty sure, the return period of all the Dell laptops is 21 days. But you have to double check this with a Dell agent.

3.It is pretty much the same. If you have any problems with a specific part, they will ship you a replacement part along with a shipping label.

I like the look and feel of the latitudes. They look more buisiness oriented.

3. mattocs

mattocs Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That'd be odd if Dell would not sell to you because you don't have a business. If they try to pull something like that, make one up. Tell them you are president of Vandelay Industries. (Seinfeld reference)

4. jaycee

jaycee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Spec for spec, Latitudes will cost you much more than the Vostro.

But you are also paying for durability and reliability.

I have used many Latitudes over the years, and I have yet to have one act up on me before its warrantee is up, and even then, continue to work until the battery goes unchargable.

The feel and general perception is well worth the premium you pay for a Latitude.

This might be an interest to you if you are looking at latitudes....I unfortunately do not have Vostro's at my disposal.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=256807

5. ymer

ymer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well if you want a very reliable and long lasting system go for the Latitude, they are much more expensive for the same specs but will not give you problems.

6. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seriously, buy your Latitude from someone other than Dell directly. You'll save many hundreds of dollars, and you can have your laptop shipped to you immediately.

Plenty of Latitude models on eBay, for substantial reductions in price compared to what Dell is selling them for directly. eBay sellers were able to beat the price on my laptop by ~$1400, which easily covered shipping and customs brokerage charges.

7. Jakpro

Jakpro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Latitudes are better quality and you pay for it.

8. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    A 3-year warranty is standard on most Latitudes, so that may account for part of the price difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.