The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Couple of questions about the Latitude E line

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by anonymous52090, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonymous52090

anonymous52090 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I know the Dell Latitude E series hasn't been released yet... But I have 2 questions regarding the leak posted here on Engadget. If those specifications are correct, the Latitude E line will only support DDR2 and not DDR3 like Montevina is supposed to support. Do you guys think that is accurate?

Also, I saw that Dell will be offering what they call a "slice" battery... What does that mean?

By the way, I am looking at the E6500 or maybe the E6400. These really look like awesome laptops, I just hope they get released early June like the roadmap says.

Thanks!

2. nonamebowler

nonamebowler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea I was wondering a bit on the slice battery.

My thought on the memory is that ddr3 is not very consumer accesible right now for laptops so they might not bring that out till later on.

An I feel the release date will be around late June or early July. Early June they will finally show it and it will take a month to get it out and rolling, and then probably some delays

3. zeedarkjster

zeedarkjster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not to sure about the DDR2/3 ram
    But for the battery, they seem to advertise it as "all day" computing, but if you look at the specifications like compared with the D series its the same, and in the notes there is nothing there, so my guess is that the battery is just the same?!?!

But yea I've been holding off on other laptops for college and waiting to see how great these are.

My question is, would it be more pricier if I buy it day of? or would dell have a like back to school deal on this. Making it cheaper to buy now.

4. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Latitudes are business class laptops and not marketed towards school children. I doubt they will have back to school sales on them.

5. Lysander

Lysander AFK, raid time.

Reputations:
    The slice battery is the extra battery that bolts onto the entire bottom on the laptop, as seen on the Latitude XT.

6. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. zeedarkjster

Reputations:
    :rolleyes2:

Business class laptops, eh? So, email, internet, Microsoft word, power points, videos, music, gee your right dell, this is totally exclusive and just for business people to use.

Well I hope they come with some promotional deal upon release.

8. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    LOL, I think what Nizzy was referring to is that the Latitude line has never been marketed as an impulse buy such as the Inspiron's or Vostro's where you are constantly being teased with promos and sales.

The Latitudes are DeLL's solid build rugged laptops for business minded people such as those who would consider a Thinkpad. They are built better than the Inspiron's, and Vostro's. They are marketed as being rugged, well built get your business done laptops. So DeLL tends not to offer many incentives for the Latitude line.

I think I have come across 2 or 3 deals that were tempting in the last year in a half. Whereas there's usually some type of deal going for the consumer line or Vostro latops.

9. drfelip

drfelip Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. zeedarkjster

Reputations:
    Yea I didn't mean to direct anything towards Nizzy, but like I was just wondering like what the difference between business and like college, but w.e its pointless talking bout that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.