The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Delayed Vostro 1710 shipment

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by oldgraygeek, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldgraygeek

oldgraygeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ordered a top-of-the-line Vostro 1710 for my best friend, because he wanted to get an XP notebook while they were still shipping.
    They had originally promised to ship today, but they just sent an Email delaying it until July 3rd (and offering to let us cancel, but we're not gonna do that).

Anyone else having shipping delays on Dells? Could it be because of the last-minute rush to buy XP?

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, 2.5GHz, 800Mhz FSB, 6M L2 Cache
    17.0 inch Widescreen WUXGA display with TrueLife
    4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 DIMM
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS Graphics
    250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
    8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability
    Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0
    Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
    Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Webcam and Digital Microphone
    58 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Vostro 1710
    Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR), XP

2. CeeNote

CeeNote Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How long have you been waiting for your 1710? I got mine in 17 days with no delays when I ordered it last month with XP.

3. oldgraygeek

Reputations:
    It has been 17 days... today.

4. X2P

X2P COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    Its called a shortage of parts.

5. Teriyaki

Teriyaki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mainly the battery. That fire really did quite a number on the world shipments of notebooks:(

6. oldgraygeek

Reputations:
    Thanks. It would be nice if it goes out on the revised ship date... but it's not even my laptop. I'm doing this job for my best friend, and I want it to be as perfect as possible.
    I used to design XP Pro images and build processes for a consulting firm before I "retired;" tens of thousands of my builds are still running worldwide.

I will boot to Windows PE, copy off the Drivers folder, and grab a Ghost image of the drive as-shipped before I turn it on.
    Then, I'll do an unattended script build of XP Pro, with SP3 slipstreamed in, from a USB hard drive.
    I'm going to integrate the OEM drivers into the build folder, shooting for a clean Device Manager on first boot.

When I get that right, I'll burn the source and configuration files to a DVD so I won't need to re-create it a few years down the road.