The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell 7710 gpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kaibsora, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alright so I have already upgraded my model to support thunderbolt 3 by changing the io board. (It works without a hitch). Now what I want to do is upgrade the gpu. I have found this gpu on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nvidia...rentrq:502948311670ab6b93838c22ffed58f2|iid:1

I was wondering how legit this looked to everyone here. I know that they dont make the 1070 in the mxm 3.0b alot design often at all, which is why there was so few listed. That being said I did purchase this. Although, I am a bit peeved.

The gpu itself is stated to be a dell version in the gpu zed screenshot. I did some digging and found out that all of the dell laptops that feature a 1070 are all soldered onto the motherboard, making this card impossible. What do you guys think? Did I waste my money? Or was I right to take this chance?

I will also post updates to the main post so that you all may know my progress.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You're right; on the Dell side, the GeForce 1070 has only ever been offered in the Alienware line in soldered-to-the-motherboard form. For MXM GPUs, the PCI device ID is partially determined by the motherboard. This is why INF modifications are nearly always needed to get the driver loaded when swapping an "unsupported" GPUs into a system, the device ID will not line up with what is in the stock INF file for GPU+motherboard combinations that are non-standard.

It's possible that the GPU-Z snapshot was taken while the GPU was in a Dell system, which is why Dell shows up as the subvendor (which would be good for the chances that it will work well in your Precision 7710).

Let us know how it goes... I haven't heard any stories of Pascal GPU upgrades in the 7710.

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Those have been popping up in ebay recently but I am unsure of anyone that has used one. Not to say no one used it, just havent personally seen it yet.

4. kaibsora

Reputations:
    Ah. Thanks for the info! I did not know that. I will be posting updates and pictures here, as well as making a upgrade video to sequel my teardown for this model on YouTube.
    I did purchase it Saturday and got a tracking number that was short and started with a 4 that is supposedly shipped with dhl, so I am skeptical of it. But the good news is that I'm covered by the ebay money back guarantee so that if it isnt a 1070 I can get my money back.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Let us know how it goes!

6. kaibsora

Reputations:
    Update: The gpu is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited!

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Post a write up if you dont mind.

Curious about those 1070's in standard format as well.

8. kaibsora

Reputations:
    I will be posting a video to YouTube as well as doing a write up here telling the differences in performance between my card and the 1070

cixelsyd likes this.
  9. cixelsyd

cixelsyd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What card are you upgrading from? I've got a 7720 with M1200 coming and am planning ahead for that as well. I understand it will need the cooling replaced as well.

10. kaibsora

Reputations:
    I am coming from an m4000m. From what I see, you shouldn't need the cooling replaced. I'm not sure though. I could be wrong. I dont know what the inside of that model looks like. I didn't plan on replacing my cooling because it looked just like mine.

I have a video on yt that shows the inside as well as the disassembly of my laptop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.