The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell and HP 230/240 Power Adapters interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hertzian56, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I have an extra 240W Dell m6700 adapter and am wondering if it is interchangeable with an HP Omen 230W adapter? Both have the barrel plug and single pin but I don't want to plug it in without more info. Dell's is 19.5V, 12.3A and the HP one is 19.5V, 11.8A. I've read that they might be "smart" or might have opposite polarities. Both laptops are 17". My other dell adapter 130w is interchangeable with my both dell precisions m6700/m4600 but that's all dell.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No. Dell power supplies report their wattage to the laptop and if the Dell system does not get a good reading then it will complain about a low-powered adapter and throttle down to the lowest performance level. You need a Dell power adapter, or one specifically designed to replicate the Dell power reading (which HP ones do not), in order for it to operate at high power modes like 240W.

3. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thx, I wasn't going to do it too much risk and I have both adapters it'd just be nice to be able to put one of these monsters away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.