The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Bios "Save as Custom User Settings?"

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by summersun, Dec 19, 2021.

1. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When making a change to a bios setting, I get the Apply Settings Confirmation with a checkbox option (checked by default) "Save as Custom User Settings".

When would I want to leave that checked to "Save as Custom User Settings" and when would I want to uncheck that and just save the changes to BIOS directly?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I could be wrong but I believe you can set your own set of 'defaults' and basically build a BIOS preset that you can quickly change to should you ever have to factory reset. Say there are 100 options and you modify all 100 to different values for your uses and then Save that as Custom User settings. If you were then to clear CMOS, you'd be able to just select your Csutom User settings instead of re-modifying all 100 entries.

I actually need this feature hahaha! I'm not sure Clevo has it.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It will save the changes to the BIOS regardless of the checkbox
    If you check the box then your current settings become the "custom user settings". When you go to reset the BIOS settings, you have the option to pick between "custom user settings" and "factory default settings". So basically this allows you to set your own settings to use as a "default rollback".

summersun and 4W4K3 like this.
  4. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When you make one new change and apply with "Save as Custom User Settings" checked, does only that latest change get saved to the custom user settings, or does the complete current config (including any previous changes that were not saved to custom settings at the previous apply time) get saved to the custom user settings?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The entire config gets saved.

summersun likes this.
  6. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Excellent. Thank!