The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell D630 touchpad lags when compared to Lenovo T61

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by randyy, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randyy

randyy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently have a Lenovo T61 laptop through work and am considering purchasing a Dell D630 for personal use.

When playing around with the D630, I see that the touchpad has a considerable lag from when I start moving my finger to when the mouse starts to move on the screen. I was not able to duplicate this on my T61 when I had them side by side.

I tried to change the sensitivity and speed of the touchpad to improve this on the D630, but did not have any luck. Are others experiencing this same issue? I saw the same lag when I played with another dell (1420?) at bestbuy, as well.

My apologies if this has been discussed at length. I spent quite some time searching google and this forum but to no avail.

2. ZZen

ZZen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I saw this touchpad lag on a Dell 1525 when I played around with it at Staples. However the touchpad reacts normally on my new XPS M1330. Not sure if that helps though.

3. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I have used many Thinkpads and in my opinion, they have the best touchpad. But I have also used some dells and I didn't notice the lag. I did notice that the touch pad was extremely sensitive.

4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed a lag on mine...Interesting. Do you happen to know which touchpad that D630 had. They come with either a Synaptics (with way more extra features in the driver) or an Alps touchpad. (like mine)

5. randyy

randyy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not sure which touchpad it was, but it didnt have any touch zone options in the settings that I looked at under Control Panel->Mouse in Windows XP.

6. bramgn

bramgn Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Vostro 1400 and i also notice a lag between touching the touchpad and the actual movement. Not very apparent, but noticeable nevertheless.

Does anyone know of a solution? I tried different settings such as sensitivity, but without result.

One thing i want to try is booting into Linux and see if another OS changes anything.

7. bramgn

bramgn Newbie

Reputations:
    It's strange, though, that the Dell Vostro 1500 apparently uses a different touchpad, which functions just fine like it should. The moment you start using a laptop with a proper touchpad, you realize the difference...

Do both Dell and the touchpad manufactorer not test their equipment before shipping it? >_<

Solution: attach a mouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.