The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell D820 too hot?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by eclecticdoode, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclecticdoode

eclecticdoode Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I recently purchased a Dell Latitude D820 and am fairly satisfied. However, after approximately 30-45 minutes of light usage (email and word), the bottom of the computer gets quite hot and my wrist area (they rest on the top of the laptop, next to the touchpad) starts to sweat.

I recently downloaded mobilemeter to see how hot my computer is running. Currently, with firefox and word, and running on battery power, the computer is running at 44.5 degrees celcius (112.1 degrees F) and the HDD is running at 40 degrees celcius (104 degrees F). As I spend more time on the computer, it will get hotter. Are these numbers too high? Do I have a defective system? The fan has only activated once I think--when I was watching a DVD while plugged into the AC adapter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    44° is definetly in the normal range. How hot does it get when you say hotter?

3. Asics

Asics Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    eclecticdoode,

My d820 got very hot, too. The bottom was extremely hot, and the left palm rest and the touchpad were also very warm -- to the point of being uncomfortable. It got this way within 15-20 minutes of nothing but email and web browsing. My temps were a little higher than the ones you reported. Disappointing because I liked most everything else about it.

4. dudesdudets

dudesdudets Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Normal don't worry.

5. USAFdude02

USAFdude02 NBR Reviewer & Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You might want to look into getting a laptop cooler, that is if the heat bothers you that much. They are realtivly cheap and will help with the cooling. :p

6. abcd12345

abcd12345 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Precision M90 and kinda have the same problem of yours. The thing is that Dell has set the fans to go off on very high temperatures so the laptop will be very quiet. Although that's normal, you can use either a Cooler pad (Bytecc NC-500) or a fan control software (I9kFanGUI v2.3) in order to take control over the heat and fans.

I'm using both, the pad cools my HDD and RAM (it never goes above 40 - it's 26 as we speak) and I've set I9KFanGUI to run the fans when my CPU goes above 30 and my GPU goes above 40.

Hope that helps,
    Sam

7. behind_da_sun

behind_da_sun Newbie

Reputations:
    i have a d820 and it gets so hot that i can only use it on my desk, it gets to 80-85 degrees every time i use it more than 20 min. I have a laptop cooler stand under it and it doesn't do much the temp is still the same.I am using my laptop for coding and browsing mostly.What should i do to get this beast cooler?
    I was measuring it with coretemp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.