The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Docks WD19DCS and WD19TBS

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by rinconmike, Aug 4, 2021.

1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I tested the 7760 while using the 210W power supplied by the WD19DC. Performance appears unaffected compared to mains power. TimeSpy scores are just as high as when plugged into the stock 240W adapter: 10373 (GPU: 10262; CPU: 11056).

I also tried both docks with the 240W barrel power adapter attached and monitored USB-C power delivery. When a barrel power adapter is plugged in, USB-C power delivery is completely halted. Performance of the notebook is identical to performance without the dock attached, using the same power supply. In the case of the 240W barrel adapter, the machine behaves normally. However, if a 90W barrel adapter is plugged in while the WD19TB dock is attached, the system defaults to a power envelope commensurate with only the 90W barrel adapter and not the 130W USB-C power delivery. It will not team the two power sources together (USB-C power + barrel power.)

So in summary...

WD19DC
    • Pros: One cable solution for power and docking (really two USB-C cables, but kinda like 1 cable.)
    • Cons: Reduced total bandwidth compared to WD19TB, uses both TB4 ports on the 7x60, no TB available period and no second USB-C port on the back of the dock.
    WD19TB
    • Pros: Improved bandwidth/TB3, leaves one USB-C/TB4 port available on the Precision 7X60.
    • Cons: Two cable solution (TB + barrel power), may need to buy another power adapter if you want to leave one at work / wherever you dock the system.
    Has anyone heard of Dell producing a TB4 dock?

rinconmike likes this.
  3. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I really like the 3.5mm audio jacks (2 of them) on my WD19DC. A shame they removed them from the WD19DCS. I have a sound system hooked up to the dock in my home office.

alaskajoel likes this.
  4. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks. Did you have the same issue you posted earlier with the WD19DCS without the power adapter?

Has anyone had issues with the dual USB C with the WD19DCS not lining up or not staying in and creating an issue where just using the one TBS cable and a separate adapter would be better?

5. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    Aside from the limited bandwidth of the WD19DC, I have no complaints. It has been very stable. The front USB-C port saturates my 10gbps USB NVMe enclosure and I also appreciate the audio port.

6. EyeOfTheBeholder

EyeOfTheBeholder Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have already posted this to the 7560 & 7760 owners threads, but there is a Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 dock coming in August with better specs and connectivity than the WD19TBS.
    Since there is no Dell TB4 dock in sight and I got two spare 240W Dell power supplies from my soon-to-be-useless e-port docks, I'll be trying out the Lenovo dock, if reviews are decent.

Rokobo and alaskajoel like this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Irrelevant to thread.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  8. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    Random complaint of the day: the fan on the WD19DC is much more obnoxious than the excellent fans on the 7760. I might go with the WD19TB and barrel power supply just because the noise of the dock is now the most irritating thing in my office.