The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell e7480 hinge tightening possible (lid/screen wobble)?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by philstopford, Apr 19, 2021.

1. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Latitude e7480 here that has some wobble in the lid when open (it stays closed - the wobble is only obvious when the lid is leaning forward rather than backward). Taking the bottom of the case off, there's no obvious 'give' in the chassis mounting; I think the issue might be in the lid itself. I wondered whether there was a procedure to open up the lid assembly to tighten the mounts.

Anyone have any experience with this problem and effected a repair?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With my M6700, one of my hinges stopped working after about 7 years of use. (It actually seized up and broke. After buying a new display assembly, I realized that the hinges are pretty easy to remove from the display assembly (just a few screws once you've got the display assembly separated from the laptop). It looks like most Dell systems are like this. You can buy the hinges separately on eBay. So I'd say just open the system up and outright replace the hinges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latit...248202?hash=item3b5089560a:g:zREAAOSw5eZfjqcg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lcd-Hi...146776?hash=item3d74d56398:g:XokAAOSw9mpaAtbI

3. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Figured it out; getting the plastic strip off the hinge area was easy, getting it back on under the rubber was trickier. The screws attaching the hinges to the display were all loose (chassis-side were all tight). Guidance from this video, although the touchscreen/high resolution screen differs, I only needed the pointer about the screws and plastic cable cover removal.