The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Vostro 1500 SLOW when running on battery...

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Trevelyan, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, this is a real disappointment. After getting the laptop and spending all day installing programs, I run into this problem. It seems that Vista just doesn't want to startup sometimes. It will get to the part right when the Vista logo is supposed to come up, but the screen just stays black and sits there...

Now, this seems to only happen when its running on battery mode. Sometimes it won't bootup at all, but sometimes it literally takes about 5 minutes. But when I plug in the AC power it is a MUCH faster bootup, like the normal 1-2 minutes.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

2. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    reinstall vista, all slow vostros, reinstall vista

i repeat everyone with a vostro should reinstall vista first thing they do when they get it.

3. Trevelyan

Reputations:
    How? I don't own my own copy of Vista....

4. Crimsonman

Crimsonman Ex NBR member :cry:

Reputations:
    also, everything massively downclocks itself when on battery power, so that is why, ALWAYS run on AC if possible

5. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    well if you dont own vista then you shouldnt be using it! or asking for help about it on a public forum saying you dont own it!

6. Trevelyan

Reputations:
    That was my first thought too, but this is most certainly NOT that.

It literally takes about 5-7 minutes to boot up from the battery. Also, programs like IE and Word just will NOT run reliably. They work for a second, then pause for about 10 seconds, then work for a few seconds... and this repeats until I turn off the computer or plug in the battery.

This laptop is completely unusable on battery power, and I can guarantee this is not the normal downclocking of the CPU for power conservation. Something is DEFINITELY wrong here, I just don't know what.

Could it be the RAM? I didn't install it myself though -- got it through Dell.

7. Trevelyan

Reputations:
    LOL Nizzy! I only have the copy Dell installed... meaning I don't have a CD. Yeesh.

8. Crimsonman

Crimsonman Ex NBR member :cry:

Reputations:
    do a system utility check by pressing F2 in the bios screen and check that out

9. boxcar_racer821

boxcar_racer821 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    they pre-install it at Dell. And sometimes dont give you the CD when they ship it to you...Enough with the quick, sarcastic remarks people.

10. Trevelyan

Reputations:
    OK I will check it out give me a second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.