The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

DellFanManagement & DellFanKeepAlive – Tools for managing the fan speed in Dell laptops

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Aaron44126, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Kukuruzo

Kukuruzo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Aaron44126

I have some questions. My laptop is Dell 1555, I have Windows 7 x64 (I don't want to switch to Win 10). I've tried to run your software, some old version via cmd.exe but got BSOD. Now I have downloaded the new GUI Beta version but it doesn't work when I click it. Just nothing happens, I can't even see the main window. Is there any way to set the fan on Dell 1555 to constant maximum speed when I need it ? This is the only option that I need actually, just switch between constant maximum and default BIOS settings. Hope that you can advice something as SpeedFan / HWinfo doesn't work as they should. When I activate them, the laptop constantly freezes for 3 seconds then works for 3 seconds and them freezes again, it's not usable and I can't fix it. Thanks in advance

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The method that I use requires a Dell system with Intel Sandy Bridge CPU or later (2011 models). Studio 1555 is too old.

You can try I8KFANGUI or some old models can actually be controlled with a keyboard shortcut to access a BIOS menu (can't find it off hand).

3. Kukuruzo

Kukuruzo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. Do you mean Fn+Shift+15324 ? Unfortunately it doesn't work on Dell 1555. I have another old Dell m1330 which works with this combination, but Dell 1555 doesn't.
    Currently I'm running I8KFANGUI on Dell 1555, but have problem with freezing as I wrote above. The only way is to use Manual Fan Control option, this way I can set the fan speed to fast and it constantly works until the temperature hits 70-75 degrees and after that it seems that BIOS default settings activate - fan slows down, then activates fast fan only when I hit 80-85 degrees. After that it works like default BIOS settings. Seems like BIOS resets all settings of I8KFANGUI after I hit some marker
    All other modes (Automatic temperature control / Force fans to high speed) in I8KFANGUI work with freezing each 3 seconds, so the laptop becomes unusable.
    Is there any other possible way to set the fan to costant high speed when needed? Any advice / software / anything ?
    Thanks

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Sorry, I've got nothing more.

5. manfredloidol

manfredloidol Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Aaron44126

Could we do the reverse of "dellfankeepalive"? Set a maximum speed with the parameters and let EC control the minimum speed?

For example say that the maximum fan speed is 80% 4000rpm approximately is between 60 and 80 degrees. And if it falls below 60 it activates EC and if it passes 80 it activates EC.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This sort of functionality is outside of the scope of my projects but the code/support is there for anyone else who wants to try it.
    This whole project is currently on hold for me, again... Other (personal) priorities are not leaving much time for side projects.

alaskajoel and juicyfruits like this.
  7. Vesterdal

Vesterdal Newbie

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126 Just wanted to give my gratitude for this tool, has made the noise from my Dell Laptop more bearable. Thanks for very much for all the work you have done.

8. juicyfruits

juicyfruits Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @Aaron44126 , could you please re-upload the .exe for your beta tool? The links are not working anymore, I would love to try this as my last resort.

I have a Dell G3 3590, and the fan drives me insane. Until a few months ago, everything worked fine. Then I had a bluescreen and had to reinstall Windows (including Dell Update, which updated a few drivers and (not sure) Bios.
    Since then there are times where the fan goes full speed (6000RPM) after startup even without any programs active and no CPU utilization. When this happens, I cannot control the fan using Dell Powercommander or HWinfo.
    I have tried everything(using older/latest drivers, downgrading BIOS) without support.

In addition when using Dell Powercommander, the max. fan RPM is 4900 which causes the system to run into thermal issues after 30 minutes of gaming. When uninstalling Powercommander, the EC sets the max fan speed to 6000, which is enough to keep the temps low during load.

9. kimiraikkonen

kimiraikkonen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,

For DellKeepFanAlive, has the stable GUI version been released?

As I recall, it was about to be released on September with stable version.

I have Latitude E6430s (identical to E6330) and the intermittent fan noise driving me crazy which turns on/off itself sooo frequently when controlled by EC (ACPI) controller. I hope it fixes that problem though I hesisate a bit even to try in case of any potential side-effects.

Best regards.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I put an expiration on the link because I expected to release a new build by now. Here's a new link.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsIwJHFk4EFdqIFyg4N3ia2vkaj0lg?e=5CDL2m

You can try "Dell Fan Management". It is stable (I'm using it continuously/daily) but not feature complete, which is why I am still labeling it "beta". Because of other demands on my time, I do not have time to finish it up right now.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022