The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Difference between Precision M4300 and Latitude D830

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by kbc, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbc

kbc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What are the main differences between the Precision M4300 and the Latitude D830. I've heard that there really isn't much apart from the Quadro graphics?

I also understand that the Precision offers WSXGA+ (1680x1050) and WUXGA (1920x1200) whilst the Latitude only offers WXGA (1280x800).

What about build quality? Do they both use the same chassis? I've not seen any proper photos of the Precision M4300 but have seen photos of the Latitude D830. Just want to know how the thing looks like or indeed a proper review of it.

Is it worth getting a Precision M4300 over a Latitude D830?

2. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    No, the D830 offers those hi-res options too.

The M4300 has the workstation version of the graphics card, which has some certification or other for doing CAD work. That's the only difference I know of. So, generally, no it's not worth it.

3. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    The M4300 and D830 use the same chassis with the exception of the lid. The M4300 has a fancy Precision lid while the D830 basically has an uncolored version of the 1520 lid.

Both machines come with workstation graphics cards, up the NVS140M for the D830 and only the FX360M for the M4300.

The D830 has a few more options for memory and harddrive.

The M4300 is also significantly more expensive, and I've never seen a "real" discount on a Precision series machine.

Unless you really want the FX360M over the NVS140M, I don't think it's worth getting the Precision over the D830.

4. channelv

channelv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the Precision M4300 that was purchased for me by my workplace. Google "Precision M4300 review" or "Precision M65 review" to see what it looks like - it looks nearly identical to the D830. The only difference is that the graphics card is OGL certified and has a lot of other ISV certifications for developer software. Honestly its not a huge deal unless you MUST have certified hardware, otherwise the Quadro FX 360m is IDENTICAL to the Quadro NVS 140m. No, I would not buy the Precision if I had to pay for it myself, it is overpriced and the D830 is no worse at all unless you have a lot of money to burn and want the machine to have a nicer lid and say "Precision" on it.

5. CROiga

CROiga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have both D830 and M6300, they`re incomparable,... my wife uses D830, and I use M6300 for 3d animation in Maya,... Maya barely runs on D830 and NVS140, so I guess if you need it for 3d work it`s worth the money,... I guess M4300 is a little less powerful than M6300 so this can be addressed to it also

ps. and for God sake don't take it with Vista LOL,.... I had problems even with adobe Premiere Cs3 on D830 and Vista Business

6. channelv

channelv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah you have to compare apples to apples, so if the D830 didn't run it well, the M4300 won't either.

I use all Adobe CS3 products on Vista and they work perfectly. Make sure you've updated your CS3 software!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.