The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Does anyone run a mobile precision with the lid closed?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by summersun, Jul 30, 2021.

1. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Using an external monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse does anyone run their mobile Precision 7760 or 77xx with the lid closed?

Or would this create a heat problem that would be worse for the machine than dust, etc. with the lid open?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've run my M6700 with the lid closed for extended periods of time, and 7510/7530/7560 for shorter periods of time. There should be no problem with cooling, unlike some other systems the Precision 7000-series does not rely on the lid open for cooling. Airflow is in from the bottom and out the back, so the same whether the lid is open or shut.

summersun likes this.
  3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have run my 7710 for the last 5 years primarily with lid closed and using the Nvidia card with two 34" monitors (hybrid graphics is turned off).

I just got a 7760 and been running it with the lid closed also the 34" monitors and lid closed. I have only checked the temp of the SSD and the SSD is warmer with the Nvidia card in operation (not necessarily the lid closed). I will try opening the lid (with laptop screen disabled) for a while and see if there is a cooling difference.

summersun likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Until I bought my XPS workstation this spring, I ran all my notebooks lid closed no issue. The wife is using her latitude with the lid closed for 2 years at work. No issues at all. you are safe.

summersun likes this.
  5. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks!

kojack likes this.
  6. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I switch to lid open mode because of Windows Hello camera. Opening the lid shrinks all running software windows to upper left corner using native display resolution. Teams even hangs sometimes and original window size can't be restored.
    External screen is 2560 x1440 and native 1920 x 1080.
    Maybe I should try new Dell UltraSharp Webcam and forget the native camera.

Anyone having a extra block under the laptop to raise the case few centimeters for better air flow?
    Like eraser Pentel ZEH10, which is soft and lifts the laptop a bit.

Do you run Dell Power Manager? I use Thermal Management as Optimized and Battery Settings as Primarily AC Use.

Area above the keyboard is 43 C lid open. Then fan does not make a lot of noise compared Ultra Performance, which is like jet taking off, when task manager etc push some work to CPU. With Ultra Performance the temperature was 38 C with lid open but the noise...
    The desk under the laptop is about 35 C and bottom of laptop 40 C when room temperature is 26 C. Not very suitable to have in your lap for a long period of time.

I have Dell Precision 7550 with i9 and RTX 3000. Enable Switchable Graphics is activated.

I used older M4700 - 7520 laptop models always with lid closed.

If you have dusty environment just use can of compressed air every third year.
    Remove then bottom and open the lid. Now you are ready to clean the laptop from the dust.

summersun likes this.
  7. slimpower

slimpower Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do. I use the Lamicall Adjustable Laptop Stand L2 and am very pleased with it. I even travel with it (well used to, before ... you know).

summersun likes this.
  8. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use my 7760 with the lid closed.

Did the same with my 7740 and had lots of overheating problems but had the same problems with the lid open - I don't think the lid open or closed made any difference.

summersun likes this.
  9. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 7720 lid is closed 95% of the time running triple QHD monitors.
    Dust has nothing to do with lid, it comes from bottom air vent, and the amount of dust depends a lot on the place u are at. My office basically has no dust because of proper air filtering system, but my house is very dusty even with windows closed and only operate with aircon. The fans & heatsink fins need to be cleaned every quarterly. If 6 months not cleaned the fins are almost blocked, and the fan blades need to be cleaned one by one.

To improve cooling and lift the laptop 2in away from table, i use cooling pad.
    [​IMG]

Rokobo likes this.
  10. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Have you installed Dell Power Manager? If yes what is your Dell Power Manager setup?
    Have you installed Intel Processor Power Management Utility 38.5, A00? This support Dell Precision 7540, 7740, 7550, 7750, 7560, 7760.
    Power Plan is Balanced?

One of colleague had about 2.5 cm / 1" thick pile of sheets above the lid. PC was quite warm....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021