The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dx30's With NVIDIA Graphics: Did Anyone's Ship Yet?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by mcarroll, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freefisheater

freefisheater Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Oh, and for anyone curious, the NVS140 ranks a 3.2 on the W.E.I.. That's the lowest score on my list and, as such, that's my laptop's rating. I'd be remiss to deny that's I'm disappointed in this score, considering the amount I paid for this computer.

I'm also curious what W.E.I. the 8400GS rates, as people here have been saying that they're the same card, only with different drivers geared for specific applications and instructions.

2. mcarroll

mcarroll Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the details, we'll see if i echo the same when i get mine...

3. stoopkid

stoopkid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    freefisheater: Yea, most of us are pretty annoyed by the graphic card drivers.
    I think if it wasn't for that, the computer would be cruising along everything thrown at it.
    I'm sure this will be fixed as time passes, and Dell/NVIDIA update the NVS drivers.

4. freefisheater

Reputations:
    Stoopkid: is it possible that with the updated drivers the WEI will increase significantly? And are there any current drivers out there I can use to replace Dell's own? Omega, maybe?

5. stoopkid

stoopkid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yea, the WEI should increase.
    I got the drivers from laptopvideo2go when i ran it on vista, and IIRC, it upped it to 3.6.

Try those drivers if you want. You can always go back to dell's if there is a problem

6. freefisheater

Reputations:
    Which one exactly do I use? And are you using the NVS140M as well? I checked the compatibility list under the Vista x86 page (actually XP32) but the NVS140m wasn't listed.

7. stoopkid

stoopkid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. freefisheater

Reputations:
    Sigh. I went from 3.2 to a mere 3.4.

Why are we all getting inconsistent results from the same hardware and - theoretically, now, the same drivers?

9. cvx5832

cvx5832 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If your card is compatible with the 101.43 drivers, it got my score from 3.2 to 3.6. Probably still not where we want it to be, but i'll take a .4 gain over nothing.

I have a D630 and the 135M.

10. freefisheater

Reputations:
    I used the 101.45 drivers - I thought the latest would be the best. I am on the D830 with the 140m, though.

Do you think I should try to find your drivers and try those? OR do I try the 162.18, Vista drivers for x86?

Also: can anyone explain the version numbering convention used by laptopvideotogo.com? How is 101.45 more up-to-date than 162.18?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.