The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

E6440 i7-4810MQ vs i5-4310M 4K playback

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by pitz, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So finally got myself a latest-spec E-Port dock, and a 27" Dell U2718Q 4K LCD to replace one of my dual 24" Dell U2410 (1920x1200) LCDs.

Works great. Except the i5-4310M, although it plays back 4K video very well off of YouTube, doesn't have enough "oomph" to do anything else on the computer and basically burns nearly 100% of the CPU during playback.

Could I reasonably expect upgrading to an i7-4810MQ to give me a bit more headroom?

Also, anyone verifiably have a dual 4K setup going with a Latitude E7470?

2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use h.264ify(available for both Chrome and Firefox) so youtube sends you mp4 video that your iGPU can decode on hardware instead of burning the laptop up doing VP9 decode on the CPU(software).

Regarding the CPU, it will be more or less twice the performance, given that you gain 2 more cores, 3MB more cache, and max clock is 3.8Ghz on the i7 vs 3.4Ghz on the i5.
    Its a worhtwhile upgrade, clean your heatsink fins, use a decent thermal paste, them use TS and undervolt it a bit and bump the multipliers, because Haswell CPU's all have 2 free bins.

3. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I ended up upgrading from Edge to Edge Chromium (hopefully its not too full of Google spyware), and installed h264ify. The problem is, when I actually dug into what Youtube can offer up, most of the 4K video content is VP9-only. However, the video rendering engine seems to be a bit more efficient under Edge Chromium compared to original Edge, so the experience is a bit better.

So I guess I'll have to look at doing the CPU upgrade. As I'm really not happy with the docking solutions available in the newer laptops that have VP9 hardware off-load.

Don't know what thermal limits/throttling I'll run into though. Will performance really scale up that much?

4. TOnt

TOnt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello. Can any e6440 owners confirm that these can handle an i7-4910 cpu. I've searched this forum and general internet, and found posts saying it's possible, but have never come across anyone saying that they actually have one, did the upgrade, and can confirm the laptop runs stable/smoothly with a 4910 currrently in it.