The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

E6540 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Turnbull2000, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenamg

greenamg Newbie

Reputations:
    It's great. Haven't timed it, but its pretty fast. I am almost more impressed with how quickly some of the larger work related programs load. I am already spoiled.

2. TommyboyCAN

TommyboyCAN Newbie

Reputations:
    I too am joining the Ranks of the E6540 owners and also upgrade RAM and added the mSATA. One thing I did notice I did install an mSATA drive and am noticing in Intel Rapid Storage Technology the mSATA is listed as a SATA Transfer rate of 3GB/s. I saw others posted they are getting a full 6GB/s right? Am I missing a BIOS setting somewhere.

3. jdugan4859

jdugan4859 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rolled the driver back, no change in funky graphics issues. Guess I will have to call Dell and see what they say.

I do remember that on my e6520 I had to disable "Optimus" to get the POST to show on my docked screen during boot. That is an Nvidia thing though, and this machine is AMD, and I can't find anything in the BIOS setup under video that I can change.

Where can you check the SATA speed of the mSATA at?

4. TommyboyCAN

TommyboyCAN Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Application from the dell website and ran that. Click on the HD you want to see and go to advanced.

5. jdugan4859

Reputations:
    I am showing a SATA transfer rate of 6Gb/s on my mSATA.

6. TommyboyCAN

TommyboyCAN Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you seeing that in the intel app? Which mSata do you have? I have the plexor mxm 256gb.

Also what mode in the bios you running? (Ahci, raid, other) I'm running AHCI.

7. jdugan4859

Reputations:
    That was from the Intel App, I had installed when I set this thing up, just didn't remember or run it.

I am running a Samsung PM841 Series MZMTD256HAGM-00000 mSATA 256GB, I have had good luck with a 840Pro in another machine, and this is as close as I could find it in mSATA, it is a tad bit more expensive, but I think in the long haul it will be worth it. It is running AHCI also.

8. TommyboyCAN

TommyboyCAN Newbie

Reputations:
    I just ran a couple other tests and every other one I ran comes up saying SATA III 600. Just the intel app isn't saying it is 6. But with all the tests I ran it is being as close to other benchmarks I have seen so I'm happy.

I might just through an 840 in there as well! Thanks for the follow up on this.

9. Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yay! Samsung EVO turned up this morning an installing now. Wish I'd anticipated space usage better to start with mind.

I've now got an unwanted Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in perfect condition, all packaging and stickers included. It's had four weeks of use. Any UK users interested for £120?

10. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's a pretty good deal for a 256GB 840 Pro. :) Congrats on the new SSD.

How are you installing the OS on the new SSD? Imaging or restoring from system backup? Also, what was your method when you installed the 840 Pro?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.