The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Fan noise - Vostro 1400

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ATLProduceguy1013, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLProduceguy1013

ATLProduceguy1013 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I recently got a Vostro 1400 delivered a few days ago and love it for the most part. I've noticed that its relatively quiet, but in pure silence sitting in front of the machine, I can hear the fan blowing air out of the side pretty clearly. It isn't loud at all, but I do notice it. The fan never shuts off to where the notebook is silent, instead the fan is going constantly at a low volume. Is this normal for a laptop or should I consider returning it for a replacement? I don't think its too noticeable, but I'm wondering if this is normal for most notebooks or it is possible to achieve pure silence in a laptop? Have you noticed any noise trends with your Dell and have any thoughts or inputs?

Thanks!

2. j89

j89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the fan is usually on in the vostro 1400. However, i think its actually quite quiet and it doesnt roar when your operating heavy programs.

3. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My vostro 1310 fan is pretty noisy,certainly much louder than the three fans in my XPS.....I guess,one small fan has to work pretty hard in a smaller notebook to manage heat.

My vostro fan only comes on about once every ten minutes for about 10-15 seconds and doesn't seem to be blowing out a lot of heat.....I think the heatsink system on these smaller notebooks leaves a bit to be desired......but they obviously don't need anything better as the notebook itself doesn't get that hot.

I had a vostro 1500 also,and that had a much quieter fan than the 1310.

4. ATLProduceguy1013

ATLProduceguy1013 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. X2P

X2P COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    Had same issue with Vostro 1500 I sent to to dell they say that noise is normal..

6. palmboy5

palmboy5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What sensor chip is used in the 1400? To put it more directly, is SpeedFan able to adjust the fan speeds in this laptop?

7. X2P

Reputations:
    Nope note speed fan use I8kfan

8. palmboy5

palmboy5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah well that would work. Choose a higher threshold temperature for the CPU or whatever else, maybe 60C or so. Please tell me that program allows more than Off, Slow, Medium(?), Fast... Thats not very precise when you want to find the highest speed where you still can't hear it.

9. X2P

Reputations:
    it does if you know what your doing. speed fan rarely works with a notebook