The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

FirePro w7170m, testing install in Precision M6600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by toastofman, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    M6600 can only do switchable graphics with NVIDIA GPUs. M6800 or later is required to use it with AMD GPUs.

2. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aw man nevermind.

3. toastofman

toastofman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Alright. From my perspective, it is officially a dead project. Anyone have a barebones 7710/7720 they don't want?

Thanks for the help and info Aaron.

4. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thought that minimum was the M6700 and M18x R2 given it was a feature introduced with Ivy Bridge.

5. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could try eBay but they usually end up going for a few hundred unless its a real turd. Avoid anything that doesn't have a decent Quad core as it can't be upgraded.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, Dell did not implement AMD switchable graphics in the M6700. The BIOS will not present the option unless you have an NVIDIA GPU installed.

Reciever likes this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Bummer that it didn't work out :( but it also puts that question to rest so thanks for giving it a shot. This kind of research is often not rewarding due to the nature of supply and demand meaning the prices tend to be quite high.

Also Enduro wasn't supported on the m6600. I do have an m6800 that I have been meaning to work on, just been busy on other projects.

8. toastofman

toastofman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'd rather have my M6600 with this card in it than replace it! But currently I'm looking for a somewhat barebones i7 or xeon precision 7710 or 7720 to put the w7170m in because I already have the card, else I'll just put it up for sale.

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I understand the sentiment, but then if you get one of those platforms you would then have the potential to upgrade to the 1070 later down the line.

10. Daniel J Stone

Daniel J Stone Newbie

Reputations:
    Man, thanks ToastofMan for experimenting. I had been wanting to do this for a long time. Awesome to hear it doesn't just blow the poor M6600 up.

Really makes me wonder if you have the RGB LCD if it would display. I read one account where someone was running the RGB screen with the M8900, but seriously there are no other accounts of any AMD GPUs. So interesting though.

I've been also wondering about the wx7100, I've seen people do it in the m6700, but I always wondered if it could boot in a m6600. Oh well. A man can dream.