The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

How to force USB C Alt Mode? Latitude 5400

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Reciever, Dec 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Good Morning ladies and gents

Need a little assistance here, getting quite frustrated with this laptop I got to replace a friends E6440 that she uses for work.

Laptop is the Latitude 5400 without the optional thunderbolt port. From my understanding, it uses the USB C Alt Mode for DisplayPort.

This is the Dock I am trying to use...

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-SD4820P-Docking-Station-Surface/dp/B083LJWFSC?th=1

The screens I have connected to the Dock are 2x DP Dell Monitors (1080p IPS) and they did drive the display but while I stepped away my brother in law said that they simply turned off and now wont come out of sleep mode due to lack of signal. I've tried rebooting the dock, the system, re-plugging all the cables, 2-lane and 4 lane modes on the dock.

My brother in law is an IT guy but hes no system builder, despite this he wanted to abort the whole situation because he didnt want to do it anyways to begin with. This all so very frustrating as he adding more to the problems instead of resolving them. He was already saying the dock wouldnt work because the system wasnt thunderbolt, to which I told him neither is the dock. It didnt work initially because drum rolll.....he didnt power on the dock. The other problem is that he didnt start this migration process until 7-8pm which means you want to hurry up and wrap it up and get easily frustrated when it doesnt work the way you want it to.

That all being said, I need to work with him to get this laptop running as the previous one is 7 years old, and holds no charge in a house where 3 infants are running around. Plus this laptop is just generally better performing, has a 10-13 hour run time and significantly lighter with faster storage. To me its a no brainer, to my brother in law its just a chore.

USB C Alt mode is a new technology to me, what are the typical culprits for its lack of functionality that I might be able to narrow down during the week?

Thank you NBR!

Reciever

If it really comes down to it, ill set up my Alienware 13 R3 and give it to her as a gift for XMAS and deem the other laptop as a portable remote machine.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I have also tried a 5410 with a different model Kensington dock, a dual 4K USB C dock.

I am getting the same behavior on both, both are able to drive displays over USB C alt mode but neither one actually drives a screen

What the heck, is this the pet rock of the PC world now or what?

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Tried again with a Dell WD15 dock and displays immediately come up. Feels like I was fighting a white list, kind of pissed even after getting displays now lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.