The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

HowTo: Upgrade Dell Precision M4800 with Nvidia Quadro M1200

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Yamakuzure, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Yamakuzure

Yamakuzure Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, you have to edit the sections [nv_miscBase_addreg__96] and [nv_miscBase_addreg__97].
    This must be done with the official Nvidia Quadro drivers, not the Dell variants. Sorry that I didn't mention that earlier.

It looks like this:
    Code:
    [nv_miscBase_addreg__96]
    HKCR,"CLSID\{60F44560-5A20-4857-BFEF-D29773CB8040}",,%REG_SZ%,"NVIDIA H.264 Encoder MFT"
    HKCR,"CLSID\{60F44560-5A20-4857-BFEF-D29773CB8040}\InProcServer32",,%REG_EXPAND_SZ%,"%%SystemRoot%%\System32\nvEncMFTH264.dll"
    HKCR,"CLSID\{60F44560-5A20-4857-BFEF-D29773CB8040}\InProcServer32",ThreadingModel,%REG_SZ%,"Both"
    HKCR,"MediaFoundation\Transforms\60F44560-5A20-4857-BFEF-D29773CB8040",,%REG_SZ%,"NVIDIA H.264 Encoder MFT"
    (...)
    HKLM,"Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\HardwareMFT",EnableEncoders,%REG_DWORD%,0x00000001
    HKR,,DitherAlgo6,%REG_DWORD%,3
    HKR,,EnableCoprocPowerControl,%REG_DWORD%,0x0
    HKR,,HDMI_3DCtrl,%REG_DWORD%,0x1
    HKR,,ModesetBlankDelay,%REG_DWORD%,1
    HKR,,MonitorCapabilityList,%REG_MULTI_SZ%,"ACR,2A1,71;"
    HKR,,MonitorCapabilityList,%REG_SZ_APPEND%,"7204,2F1,71,0,0,0,0;"
    HKR,,MonitorCapabilityList,%REG_SZ_APPEND%,"ACR,0126,70;"
    HKR,,OpenCLDriverName,%REG_SZ%,"%11%\nvopencl64.dll"
    (...)

2. Yamakuzure

Reputations:
    I have found out another detail:
    Before installing the drivers, you have to connect your HDMI display, turn it on, and reboot. Select HDMI input on your display first, if you can choose manually.

Yesterday I went into the nvidia settings without my external display connected, and all the multi display settings were gone. It *might* be, that the setup skips the important part if no HDMI display is detected.

3. mx90

mx90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm quite surprised that you had to do these edits. I've installed an M2200 into my M4700 recently and it's working with the standard nvidia drivers flawlessly, though the M2200 did come from a Dell M7520. As another user has noted here, I would suspect that you may need another vbios flashed to the card. If that's not the case, then either way I wish you luck!

4. tomle 64

tomle 64 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have not been able to get it working, I have not tried the method yet that you used as I tried to install with out the monitior with ver 418.something or other

5. tomle 64

tomle 64 Newbie

Reputations:
    I still cannot get the card to out put to hdmi, connected my display, disabled the VGA out put in Intel control panel, tried extending it, restarted with the hdmi plugged in I'm sure I edited the 96 and 97 correctly as it shows the connectors in nv settings [​IMG] it might just be because I have an hp card

http://imgur.com/a/lOjfbax

6. Yamakuzure

Reputations:
    We have HP Z-Book cards. They have no VBIOS when delivered, as HP loads VBIOS from their mainboards.
    That your card works without edits is a coincidence. Somehow the controller in your M4700 generates the same PCI ID for the card as the M7520.

As you can see above and in the article I linked, this is not the case with HP cards in M4800. That combination generates an ID that is not known to the Nvidia drivers.

If you get that list after booting with the HDMI display connected and turned on, then my bet is on the installer skipping HDMI setup, because your display was not connected.

If you have an HP card, just flash it with the HP VBIOS I've uploaded. If you have done that, a reinstall of the drivers with the display connected and turned on should do the trick.

Attached is my patched nvdmwi.inf for the Nvidia Quadro QNF drivers Version R415 U2 (416.78)

Attached Files:

7. Yamakuzure

Reputations:
    When using my .inf file, please remember that: "Whenever I refer to "15CC" from hereon, you have to substitute it with your subsystem ID!"

Here is how it looks on my system, unfortunately in german: https://ibb.co/9Y97dYM

8. Yamakuzure

Reputations:
    Update: In Driver versions 431+ the HDMI control has to be added to nv_miscBase_addreg__50 and nv_miscBase_addreg__55. No idea why those were changed...

9. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just for those that are looking to upgrade m4800, WX 4150 with dell vbios also works without issues on M4800, small caveat is that BIOS on m4800 says that its "unknown video card with 0MB memory" dell drivers fail to install (I don't yet know how to fix that) but AMD pro drivers from their website (latest) work without a problem, VGA port is remaining non functional, not sure if its compatibility or WX just does not support it. (you can always convert DP to VGA), DP port's and dock DP ports including DVI work without any issues. performance on battery drops to usable and shoots above former k2100m but 3 less than when plugged in, again not sure if its possible to force it to work at full steam.

current best score with, WX4150 I could pull is 1640 in time-spy.
    while original, K2100m was able to do only 400...
    for example, m2200 gives 1800 - 1900 max

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. tanphu194

tanphu194 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the vBIOS he uploaded would show as a 2GB. Use this one to get full 4GB: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207885/207885
    I just tried.