The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Kaby Lake Precision pre-release discussion (5520 / 7520 / 7720)

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    UHD panel and WWAN is not supported right now but I hope to have it soon.

2. Dell-Mano_G

Reputations:
    I'm changing the keys to allow for some changes that were requested. Not sure if they are happening this gen or next. I'll check.
    Not sure what the battery wear level problem is.

engineered, alexhawker and huntnyc like this.
  3. michalrus

michalrus Newbie

Reputations:
    By “soon”, do you mean that it may be possible in 7520, in the future?

engineered likes this.
  4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Basically, if you have graphics switching off (NVIDIA GPU driving the laptop display), and the system is on battery power, the screen contrast dynamically changes based on the brightness of the image displayed on the screen. This sounds like it could be a nifty feature, but it actually works backwards, dimming the screen when a dark image is displayed, making it even harder to see/read. Certain use cases (like dark-themed code editors as I mentioned) cause this issue to flare up and it is really hard to read anything on the screen.

Again, this occurs only with graphics switching off and the system on battery power. It happens on at least the past three generations of Precision laptops. It is clearly not a hardware issue, as it only starts happening once the NVIDIA driver has been loaded, and the issue is not present for example in the pre-boot BIOS screens or when Windows is running in safe mode.

The issue is detailed in the linked thread: link right here, which includes reproduction steps and additional information.

And yes, I have contacted technical support and it went all the way to the engineering team. They confirmed that they were able to reproduce the issue, but blamed it on the NVIDIA display driver (my conclusion as well). A decision was made against getting involved with NVIDIA to get it addressed, so that was the end of the line for my support request. (I have also contacted NVIDIA on my own, and they also confirmed the issue calling it a "feature", but they told me that change requests for the notebook drivers must come from an OEM.)

Does the new generation support DisplayPort 1.3 (or higher)? With DisplayPort 1.2 in the 7510/7710, two 4K monitors attached to the same port are limited to 30 Hz.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    gotta2know, huntnyc and John Ratsey like this.
  5. Dell-Mano_G

Reputations:
    With the 7520 but not at launch.

6. Dell-Mano_G

Reputations:
    I'll look into the NVIDIA driver and contrast changes.

The mDP port on the system for the 7520 supports DP 1.4 with all AMD graphics and on the 7720 the mDP port supports DP 1.4 with all AMD graphics and NVIDIA P3000, P4000, & P5000. The 7720 is VR Ready with both the P4000 & P5000 graphic cards.

alexhawker and huntnyc like this.
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Are they dedicated "Home" and "End" keys? I sure hope so...!

8. Michiko

Michiko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    penguinslider likes this.
  9. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This please. I would much rather have dedicated Home and End Keys than the media buttons at the top of the numpad..

engineered and sench like this.
  10. sench

sench Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Count me in too!

I'm going through pretty much every precision model and M6500 had it right with extra line of media keys above numberpad. After that I had to use a tool (https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ I'm sure there are plenty similar ones available) to do 2 things:
    1) disable pageup/pagedown near cursor keys)
    2) make calc & media keys to work like pageup/down.

As long as there is a tool available to reprogram keys I don't really mind currrent layout.

@Dell-Mano_G as software dev. I would love to see grouping of Fn keys (space between f4-f5 and f8-f9 ) I often get f-keys wrong when touchtyping :(
    And I hate smaller cursor keys (all developers I work with who use Precisions are disappointed by smaller cursor keys on 7710. That's probably the one and only thing they are not happy with :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.