The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude e6230 black screen on startup

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by artur1884, Dec 25, 2021.

1. artur1884

artur1884 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi everyone, maybe smbd know what can be the problem ?
    I cant boot my Latitude e6230 (i7-3540m, 8 ram).
    When start the power button, I clearly hear the fans spinning, the backlit of keyboard appears on pressing, so I can say the Laptop is not dead.
    but apart from this – nothing happens.
    the screen is totally black, no further Windows boot or smth. I tried to go to boot menu (F12) to run diagnostics to hear at least the sound of test (you know that beeping) on blind , but also nothing.
    when connected to Monitor it shows nothing too.

I tried every advice from the Web, including disabling the AC, the battery, constant re-booting and everything else. FN + B is also not this case. this problem came from nothing.

I believe that if the problem was with the screen only, I would easily boot into Windows or at least successfully enter BIOS or diagnostics.

But I cant

would you share your ideas about this ? what kind of symptom is that ? maybe I can update the BIOS ? but it seems I cant do this at all

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fans whirring is a failure to POST sign. I would get this on a latitute mostly when I had RAM issues. Try removing your RAM sticks one at a time and see what that does.

3. artur1884

Reputations:
    hello @Khenglish , thanks for your reply

I ve just removed both RAM sticks. And the behavior of laptop had some changes.

First, I have to mention that in my described situation the fans are working just as usual. By saying " the fans spinning" I meant the cooling system is responsive with no specific difference. It just starts with the Laptop like nothing wrong. Same as keyboard backlit. In such condition with black screen and no further steps – the laptop may keep this state forever until I power it off. While this, the fans may start and stop randomly.

After removing the RAM, there was exactly what you mean by "Fans whirring" – it started spinning on max RPM very loud for a short period of time, and then my Laptop turned off by itself. I checked again – same result. Different from what I experience. when RAM sticks installed I have to power off the laptop manually, it can be like this with black screen forever

UPD I also have tried to run Laptop with different RAM sticks, no success. But what I noticed is that CapsLock indicator not responding. According to Dell.com this may be sign of POST failure, but proposed steps (
    • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to remove any residual power.

• Press and hold the power button, and plug the AC adapter in to the Dell PC.
      [​IMG] Note: Do not release the power button until some text or the Dell splash screen is displayed. Do not connect the battery to the PC until the recovery process is complete.

• Dell ePSA diagnostic screen will appear. If the ePSA diagnostic screen does not appear, try recovering the Dell PC using the BIOS Recovery method
    didnt work, no screen appeared.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  4. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't think the 6230 series had a dgpu option, so unfortunately I am low on ideas. Have you tried plugging in an external display and seeing if that works?

5. artur1884

Reputations:
    yes, both with D-Sub and HDMI. its nothing. well, I guess the problem cant be identified like that, with no propep tools and professional diagnosis. Fortunatelly this is not my main PC and fortunatelly this happened just BEFORE my wife took it for a trip. I just posted it here looking for some ideas, since I discovered this forum only a day ago xDD.
    I think I ll take it to certified service center and there is no other option

thanks for your suggestions

p.s. yeah, it has integrated HD 4000 and no other configuration available. but Im ok with that , its obviously not a gaming or CAD laptop

6. artur1884

Reputations:
    upd:

I visited service center.
    After the diagnoisis they said about next steps to be done:
    - BIOS refresh
    - implementing EC_KBC
    - refreshing ME_REGION
    - replacement RTC

I have no idea what is this all about, and after all I feel like I was just cheated for money, and the problem was somewhere else. ALso I feel angry at myself because I realized that due to another BIOS version (I have another 6230, my wife's one) I misclicked the DIAGNOSTIC menu in order to hear any beep from there. Of course I didnt hear anythein, I was just clicking another option !!

but anyway the screen works properly now