The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

m6500 cmos battery questions

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tgz, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I recently purchased this m6500, the main battery is hardly holding a charge if at all, shows 29% always. I had some trouble booting into an iso disc linux image, I believe I was able to do it by going into the BIOS and manually resetting the clock [off by years]. Anyway, there are other problems maybe for another thread but right now, with it plugged in, I booted into BIOS and the clock keeps falling back to 2013, which I think might be causing boot problems to iso. Would the clock resetting indicate the cmos battery is toast?

If it is, anyone have success soldering a new one into the holder? If not I'd have to wait for a harnessed one to come from ebay, would like to proceed asap. thanks

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, clock reset is a good sign that the CMOS battery is bad.
    Seems likely that Dell has been using the same battery connector for a good while so one from a newer system might work. (I'm not sure about the M6500 in particular; all of my systems are newer than that.) In any case, there are companies selling new compatible replacement batteries (i.e. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076V27XJ5)

3. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks! I'll have to get back to this later, and research possibilities of soldering in a battery I have on hand to the harness, don't want to wait but at least I have my other m6500 already up and running.

4. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found a good tute on youtube for fitting a raw battery into the harness [do not solder!]. I had all the parts on hand but unfortunately the little white plastic connector on the end of the 3 wires disintegrated as I was removing it. Happy to have found a seller on ebay as the one on Amazon projected arriving June/July! Delays due to corona virus, I assume. Ebay was cheaper as well.
    tutorial:

ebay m6400/m6500 rtc batteries. I bought 2 because not only do I have another m6500 but didn't want to get caught short again on the connector breaking:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Assemb...375371?hash=item34072836cb:g:O8sAAOSwKVVbL0gV