The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6700 Covet Edition died

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by nforce4max, Jul 28, 2021.

1. nforce4max

nforce4max Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Basically while gaming the board failed and trips the protection on the ac adapter r.i.p so I am left wondering what failed and if anything else got taken out. I can test safely test everything with low to no risk with the exception to the mxm so I am wondering if anyone else had experienced such a failure and what were the losses.

Edit: The charger still trips without the cpu and mxm installed so the board is obviously dead. All I want to know what would the odds of the rest being ok.

Specs
    i7 2920xm at stock
    16gb of rubbish ram
    3 2.5 sata drives two of which had only a few hundred hours between them
    small msta for a couple of games
    Firepro w7170m

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like one of your VRMs blew up. Did you take it apart yet?

3. nforce4max

Reputations:
    Pulled most of it apart with the exception of the board and it still shorts without the cpu and mxm installed. Also taken out the ram and still the same. Ended up buying a replacement board so fingers crossed everything else is ok.

4. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    also, a 2920XM in a M6700 o_O?

5. nforce4max

Reputations:
    Bought the machine bare bones and the 2920xm was an spare, had no issues as to thermals for the time the machine ran.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Think the comment is because 2920XM doesn't work in the M6700, maybe you mean 3920XM?

7. nforce4max

Reputations:
    Well everything went smoothly thus far and everything that matters survived including the display and mxm, also the 2920xm does work though I am not doing any kind of overclocking and the same chip had no issues in my M18x R2 either. I believe that with the prior board it was a fan controller chip that decided to call it quits from the flux that I can see around it under where the mxm would be.