The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

need help dell m4600 precision overheating

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by raptorddd, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i have a dell m4600 with quadro 2000m i7 2760qm.
    it was completly shuttting off instantly my laptop if am not mistaken this only happened when i was watching youtube videos only. yesterday i decided to add thermal paste. and even though it still shuts off this time i watched many videos and 1 video that lasted 50 mins almost at the end it shut off. so i want to completely get rid of the shut downs.
    am using win 10. opera browser to watch videos.
    can someone help me fix this issue. and let me know what program to use to monitor and test temps.
    thanks

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's really weird. I've got an m4600 w a firepro m4000 that gets really hot, never had any problems. I would think you need to check to make sure that your cpu/gpu heatsinks are all the way screwed down properly and that you are getting contact w the paste on the die. Blow out the fans etc as you may have a blockage too. I would use hwmonitor_64 and gpuz etc to monitor temps. Maybe get an av etc, bleepingcomputer has a few free malware checkers free download, keep an eye on your task manager maybe you have a miner malware installed etc

raptorddd likes this.
  3. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    am using coretemp. am pretty sure that all screws are all the way tight.
    my 1st motherboard is dead now but never had a shutt off either. it got stuck at dell logo. so got another motherboard and eversince i swap motherboard ive noticed higher temps.

opening opera using turbo boost temps get to 76 but then stabilizes to 57

so my temps are
    low 50 average 60 and hight 76. if i keep watching you tube that 76 start to change to 81
    i also beleive that the heatsink isnt making contact. but i know the 3 screws are tight as i cant turn them no more.

4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    That's strange, I don't think those temps are out of control, is that just mobo temps? What about the gpu? I could see a spike when it first opens a program. I usually can hear the fans ramp up when I initially open waterfox, firefox etc on my m6700 but never had a crash. The firepro m4000 in my m4600 gets around 79 at times while doing cad work, never monitored it too closely bc no crashes(other than normal win10 crap). Maybe re-seat the RAM modules, make sure your fans are actually spinning, usually you can just hear that though. I've never done a transplant as big as a mobo though, a lot can go wrong there I'd think, might have a defective one with a bad temp sensor/fan control idk.

-Your gpu can be dying too, try a benchmark tool/stress tool like firestrike, unigine heaven, passmark etc I had a quadro 1000m in my m4600 but those are unusable for minimum/med settings on modern games and an m4000 is only like 20 bucks and quadruples your capabilities. Best gpu the m4600 can use is a firepro m5100 but those are double the price of the m4000 and only about 30% faster. If gaming is important one of the larger ones is best like m6700/6800.

-This might be a software issue, try another browser, palemoon is a pretty lightweight one too or waterfox. Watch task manager while you're on youtube, maybe you are infected with something that spikes usage. Again bleepingcomputer has some good free ones I've used in the past, rkill, combofix, roguekiller, tdskiller, adwear cleaner etc Get Dell SupportAssist to do some diagnostics as well. I'd also ask this in the m4600 forum too for more help.

raptorddd likes this.
  5. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    fans do ramp up and down.
    gpu temp at idle 39c

Heaven Benchmark 4.0
    2 times
    GPU max 58C
    https://imgur.com/a/WTL4Uim

will try to reseat all ram sticks.

opening apps doesnt crash or turn off. it turns off when watching you tube after 15 mins of youtube. maybe more maybe less.. samething happens on chrome/firefox and opera.
    motherboard still has warranty.. so am trying to find out what it is..

will try some of the programs you mentioned
    will install support assist run diagnostics.
    will report back.

6. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    downloaded aida64 tested each staility test individually for 1o mins each
    stressed
    CPU
    FPU
    CACHE
    SYSTEM MEMORY
    and GPU'S
    highest temp were 84C.

7. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    guys i need someone here to help me compare temps. i kind of am paranoid with temps.. i dont know if my temps are ok or not.. please tell me what you use to check temps.

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I'd ask this in the m4600 thread, look for it it's down a ways. My 46 is not my primary computer anymore so I don't use it with any frequency anymore. If it's not crashing anymore then I wouldn't bother getting paranoid not worth it.

raptorddd likes this.
  9. raptorddd

raptorddd Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    found out why it was shutting down. my heatsink from the part of the integrated gpu theres a thermal pad that is worned and wasnt touching the heatsink. my temps are in the 40s at idle and while using browser 68 but opening opera browser it gest in the 79 after a while the highest registered is 81-82-84-82

i tought ive posted on the lounge part 2 m4600

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.