The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Need help on Vostro 1500 Express Card Dummy

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Jrvj, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrvj

Jrvj Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just recently lost my Dell Vostro 1500's Dummy Card. And I've been searching for a spare part over the Dell Website. The Customer support attendant insisted that I phoned the Spare Parts service, but given my current location, I cannot. (I live in Peru, located to the West of Brazil)

After that, I tried google search, and while I found some definitions and other sites, no one had what i was looking for. And I got to this forums.

So, after searching over for an answer, I decided to post asking for help. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the piece number of the PCI Express Blank Insert/Dummy Card for the Dell Vostro 1500? I know that the one for the Inspiron models is the FH196 and there's another model for the Lattitude ones (PF795). Would the Inspiron Dummy work? (It's compatible only with the Vostro 1000, according to Dell)

tl;dr: Does anyone know the piece number of the Dummy for the Vostro 1500's PCI Express slot? Where could I get it? Is it the same as the Inspiron one?

Many Thanks in Advance

2. Just Lou

Just Lou Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 1500 is pretty much identical to the Inspiron 1520. If you can find one for the 1520, it should physically be the same part, but might not be the same color. (black)

3. tumnasgt

tumnasgt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Vostro 1500 uses the same dummy card as the Inspiron 1520, they are both the same color.

You might have more luck getting an express card media remote for the slot, I think they are only about $10-15 from Dell.

4. j89

j89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    exactly... they are probably going to charge you an unreasonable card for a dummy express card. I would just get a simple express media remote or something.

5. Mag-Lite

Mag-Lite Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I checked my Vostro, the dummy card part # is, PR296

6. Jrvj

Jrvj Newbie

Reputations:
    So many thanks all of you, I'll try ASAP to get that spare part.

What does the media remote do? As soon as I got the laptop I re-formatted it without media direct, so i don't know if the remote would be useful.

Also, how much does the remote cost?

Many thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.