The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Novice needs help with basic question

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by watcher1300, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watcher1300

watcher1300 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought my first laptop off Ebay (D600 Latitude) which didn't come with the help manual (but have downloaded it off the net) but I need help with a basic question which I couldn't find the answer to. Can you keep the laptop running even when you close the lid. I do a some downloading and just want to keep it running without having to have the screen up. At the moment when I close the lid, it goes into the screen when you logout as a user (win XP). It doesn't shut any of the programs down that I was using when I closed the lid but it seems to stop my broadband connection. As soon as I log back in my connection picks up again and continues downloading. Can anyone help me?

2. j89

j89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if your on vista, all you have to do is go on

control panel: power options: system settings, then change the settings so that it says "when close lid do nothing"

3. j89

j89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    (you can go to system settings by clicking the option on the side panel that says "choose what to do when i close lid" or something like that

4. jerry66

jerry66 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    properties > screensaver> power>advanced , choose from drop down what you want to do . xp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.