The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. CommieGIR

CommieGIR Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, just wanted to fill you guys in.

I have an M4600, came with the FirePro M5950, and I upgraded to a FirePro M5100. Works great, no issues.

I'm running it under Radeon drivers as a R9 M200x

[​IMG]

2. DennisZeMenace

DennisZeMenace Newbie

Reputations:
    Same here, bought a used FirePro M5100 and it works perfectly, it's a pretty major performance improvement over the Quadro 2000M.

I also replaced the i5 with an i7 quadcore and I noticed the linux kernel complaining regularly about overheating and throttling (didn't happen with the i5). Windows seems okay, a video game like Fallout 4 plays fine in medium quality settings. The fans are clean and functional (the BIOS diagnostic test passes), so I'm guessing this is more of a general weakness of the M4600 cooling design.

Does anyone know a good way to improve the performance of the cooling system ? Whether this is from a software solution, or hardware tricks: better third-party fans ? Better thermal paste ?

3. Rippchen

Rippchen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm also waiting for a good deal for a M5100 but nobody in Europe is willing to sell me one at a good price point :(

But one more question, has anyone tried to update to a Maxwell M2000M? There are some reports that people were able to upgrade M4800 and also the HP 8560w so same generation like our beloved (and cheap!) M4600.

4. AntiNSA

AntiNSA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a m4800 and upgraded to a m2000m noproblem on lvds fhd

tdbone1 and alexhawker like this.
  5. kampfratte4ever

kampfratte4ever Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  6. PhantomLord

PhantomLord Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I would like to upgrade my 1000M GPU on M4600 and there are 3 choices as I understand:
    1. Quadro 2000M
    2. FirePro M4000
    3. FirePro M5100

I would like to go for the FirePro M4000 and I know I need AMD heatsink which is part of number: 0P854T if I understand correctly.
    I wonder however if this M4000 must come from Dell, because I could buy pretty cheap FirePro M4000 but as a HP replacement part. Will it work on our M4600's?

7. Pettiford

Pettiford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My understanding is that it will work but not vice versa, because HP is the one who "whitelists" certain gpus for their motherboards.

However, i would recommend just getting an m5100. Its a great card, it overclocks really well, definitely a step up from the m400. With OCing i can actually play modern games like star wars battlefront and the witcher 3 at 1080p, 20 fps on witcher three and 25 or 30 on battlefront, which i consider playable (thats a whole different conversation). They periodically pop up on ebay for $90, or a little more.

8. PhantomLord

Reputations:
    Thank you Pettiford for your input. As for m5100 it's 3-4 times more expensive than m4000 for me so it has to wait for now.
    I wonder however if anyone had put hp card with success into our m4600's?

Another thing is I don't get those heatsinks. I have Quadro 1000m and I have heatsink 0P854T, from what I understand AMD cards also use the same heatsink, while Quadro 2000M uses 06CW3P heatsink, am I right? Has anyone compare them side by side? When I look at the photos of bottom part of those heatsinks, I cannot find any difference.

9. PhantomLord

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just have successfully upgraded to Firepro M4000 (coming from Quadro 1000M). I've used the same heatsink that was in my laptop (0P854T) and the M4000 runs great. In 3dmark 11 I've got 2846 points, which is really nice in comparison to the score of 1204 points on Quadro 1000M. CPU is 2820qm with 8GB of RAM + Crucial 250 SSD on sata III.
    I haven't notice any downsides of switching graphics, in the idle it's about 50 C and the highest temp I've ever seen was 82 C, but usually temps are around 66-75 C under load. I think that this card doesn't work very well with M4600 fan system - it switches on fans, but in my opinion a bit too late.
    There's no problem with sleep or restarts so far, if I notice something I let you know.
    Oh, the card came with Dell's vbios, it was from M4700 precision.

10. Chin_Chan_Lee

Chin_Chan_Lee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So you managed to use an AMD gpu with an Nvidia heat sink? I'm looking to get the m5100 coming from a Quadro, so I'm not sure whether I need to buy an AMD heatsink or not. Like you said, they both look the same to me.