The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

S-Video on D/Dock w/ D820 not working?!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by zroice, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zroice

zroice Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I just got my D/Dock delivered yesterday. I wanted to use the S-Video out to connect it to my TV, but unfortunatly it doesnt seem to work?!

The TV is not detected, and even when I activate "force TV detection" in the drivers, a TV is detected, but I get no signal on my TV?

I got a D820 with NVidia Quadro NVS 110m, WUXGA Screen and the dock is a Dell PD01X Europa D/Dock Port Replikator.
    (I'm from germany incase you wonder why its a "Europa" one)

I am using the laptop from the dock atm, network and power connection currently running over it.

What can cause this? Do I maybe have the S-Video deactivated or not yet activated? Do I need to install some sort of special driver or software?

Sorry, but I am a bit clueless, I thought it would work normally. I used the TV with the same cables on my desktop PC with an ATI Card before.

Windows also notices that the Laptop is in a dock (it displays "undock" next to sign out and shutdown the pc in the windows start menu)

Hope you guys can help me with this, I just bought the dock to use the s-video... grmpf

Thanks ahead.

zro

2. zroice

zroice Newbie

Reputations:
    well i was hoping someone had any tips for me, but seems like not.

In the meantime I got the docking station exchanged, but still no video output over S-Video possible =(

-----

TV doesnt get recognized, even when I turn on "Force TV detection". Then I have a TV in my display settings as secondary monitor, but no signal on the TV at all. I even checked the S-Video out with a Voltmeter, but nothing can be measured...

For those who use a Dockingstation to have TV-Output, can you maybe also try with Voltmeter if it has any Volt to be measured? On my desktop pc I can measure some, even when the TV is not attached, but with the dock not.

Would really help me to determine the origin of the error.

Ohh and what setup do you use?

Mine is: S-Video-to-Chinch Adapter at the dock and Chinch-to-Scart at the TV. Maybe my setup only works for ATI?

3. Armandoban

Armandoban Newbie

Reputations:
    This can be a PAIN but it eventually does work. Try finding and installing the "Notebook System Software" on DELL's website, either as Multi-System or find it for your particular notebook. I think it's up to version A30. This installs all the special D/Dock drivers. I have also had an issue in the past where the SVIDEO will not install until one of the special DELL component/ composite/ SPDIF dongles is plugged into the port and installed.

Even with the right drivers the system might still fail to recognize the ports on the dock. Sometimes it inverts and thinks it's docked only when I undock, and vice versa. It's very random. This experience is based on several Latitudes and an M1710. The latest NVIDIA beta drivers have a "Rigorous Detection" mode with additional force-enable options for the SVIDEO/Component output, I'm not sure about ATI boards.

Right now my analog monitor port is no longer detecting even though it worked fine a month ago. This happened once before and it was only fixed after a fresh install of XP. Now it's broken again. I've uninstalled and re-installed devices left and right. I think this is just how it is with the D/Dock.. Maybe that's why the docking stations are vanishing in favor of Expresscard port replicators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.