The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Test serial 2 of the DELL Precision 7750:How does it perform?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by song_1118, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm sorry that my English is not good. Here is machine translation:
    There are many pictures in the original text, so it's not easy to upload them. Please see the original text:
    https://www.51nb.com/thread-1955926-1-1.html

Last week, I sent the DELL Precision 7750 test serials 1 for brief appearance and light disassembly.
    After that, I pressed the power button on the Precision 7750 and started testing every aspect of the Precision 7750 using a variety of benchmark software, one by one, under Windows 10.
    Now, I present the test results one by one to show you how well the Precision 7750 performs.
    [​IMG]

The system configuration
    First, the hardware configuration and related data for this Precision 7750 are listed as follows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When placing an order, i9-10885H, the second-most-matched optional processor, could not be selected at the first time. However, after choosing the same second-most-matched optional Intel Xeon W-10855m, there was no ALTERNATIVE to DDR4-3200 for ECC memory, so I7-10875h, with the second best performance, and 2X16GB DDR4-3200 memory were selected.
    This time, the Precision 7750 has not been upgraded with the same top-of-the-line graphics card as the previous version. RTX 5000 is the same as the previous version, so we still choose RTX 5000. Let's see how this GDFF card with changed shape compares to the previous version in the new generation.
    For the hard disk, I directly selected the Class 50 with the best official performance and the 1TB M.2 2280 SSD with the highest optional capacity.
    In terms of the pre-installed system, I still chose the 64-bit Windows 10 family simplified Chinese monolingual version, which is relatively easy to operate with relatively high cost performance.
    The screen is naturally the most matched 100% Adobe UHD. The brightness of the official propaganda reaches 500nits, which makes people look forward to. It will be tested in detail in Test serial 3.

In conclusion, the price of this Precision 7750 is close to RMB 50,000... However, you can save a lot of money by switching to the Ubuntu Linux operating system, switching to the minimum 256GB Class 35 SSD drive, switching to a single 8GB DDR4-2933 memory, and then buying the upgrade as you want.

However, due to the hurry when placing the order, I didn't have a close look, and I still chose the wrong place -- that is why there is no SSD Door at the bottom of this fuselage complained in Serial 1 -- in fact, as long as you add RMB 51.98, you can choose the fuselage back cover that contains SSD Door; Fortunately, however, this error does not cause any performance problems, but it does require a lot of effort when the user needs to quickly disassemble the SSD in this area.
    [​IMG]

The preparatory work
    After pressing the power button of Precision 7750, the author selected F12 to enter the startup menu, selected 51NB PE system on the external USB drive, and used ATI to make a full backup of the pre-installed hard disk in the factory, so as to prepare for the complete system recovery required by subsequent tests. The following is a screenshot of the partition parameters of the factory pre-installed hard disk:

Start Precision 7750 again to unpack the Pre-installed Windows 10 system into the pre-installed Windows 10 1909. The pre-installation procedure in the pre-installation system is as follows, which is relatively fresh and simple as the previous generation 7740:

Use LatencyMon inspect the condition of the system driver, found a piece of red, the Highest measured interrupt to the process latency as high as 8494 us, that means the whole machine interrupt processing delay is higher, is not very good, this is the author mentioned in the serial 1: "sometimes the earlier release, manufacturers to leave their r&d shorter testing time, it will cause some disadvantages" - has the part of the driver grinding time is short, did not achieve very good condition.

Booting the pre-installed DELL Command Update found four updates, including one key Update: BIOS V1.1.2:
    - Updated firmware for embedded controller engine.
    - Updated USB Power Delivery firmware.
    - Adaptive sleep has been added.

After updating the above four items, Precision 7750 was restarted and LatencyMon was used again to check the state driven by the system. Although red was still displayed, the lowest measured to process latency had been reduced to 3121.20US, which was a lot of improvement, but the revolution had not yet been successful, DELL needed to make efforts:

Now that you've done all that, you're ready to start fully testing the Precision 7750's performance using various benchmark software!

The performance test
    CPU

The Precision 7750 has an I7-10875H CPU, the head of Intel's 10th generation Core I7,
    On the new Intel® WM490 (Comet Lake PCH-H)/Intel Comet Point CM256 platform, its performance is said to be comparable to, and even partly superior to, the previous flagship i9-9980HK: also 8 core 16-thread, operating frequency of 2.3-5.1ghz:

Check the parameters of this CPU with HWiNFO64 as shown in the figure below, it can be seen that DELL has a relatively loose setting for its power consumption:
    PL1 is 75W(56.00 SEC) and PL2 is 135W(2.44ms).

Using Cinebench R15 and R20 benchmark software, the test results were compared with the results of similar models used by the author before:
    The score of R15 is similar to that of i9-9980HK, the top of the previous generation, and the difference is almost negligible.
    [​IMG]

R20 scores higher in multithreading than I9-9980HK (though I think this is due to my low test scores on Precision 7740's I9-9980HK).
    [​IMG]

In this sense, Intel is still working hard to keep each generation of Cpus improving. The Precision 7750 has been downsized, its cooling system has changed, and its CPU TPD is set to be more relaxed at 75~135W, which will be expanded in serial 3.

memory
    Said above, the author order purchase, regardless of price, deliberately chose DDR4-3200 MHZ memory - reason is the test of 7740 last year, after the purchase of a variety of DDR4-3200 MHZ memory, cannot be used successfully in 7740, wasted the author very much energy and time - although DELL technical manual propaganda official support DDR4 7740-3200 MHZ memory.
    The following figure shows the performance of the cache memory tested with AIDA64. On the right is the performance of the Precision 7750, and on the left is the performance of the Precision 7740 using DDR4-2666mhz.

GPU
    The Precision 7750 is still a dual-graphics architecture and has the same name as its predecessor: UHD630+Quadro RTX5000;
    Among them, UHD630 is a CPU integration gift, not to say much here;
    The Quadro RTX 5000 is the most expensive part of the entire machine and the primary component of the Precision 7750 that makes it a mobile workstation. The Quadro RTX 5000 on the Precision 7750 has the following official DELL specifications: Estimated Maximum Power of up to 110W.

The Quadro RTX 5000 is Nvidia's second best Mobile professional graphics card in the last two years. Its overall performance, according to NBC's ranking, is better than Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super Mobile, the current champion of Mobile entertainment graphics.

(note: author champions for the comprehensive performance of the present mobile graphics is 6000 - has been the ASUS RTX StudioBook One (W590) exclusive use, but since September last year, today no see, I suspect that the mobile version RTX 6000, be afraid is Nvidia and ASUS programses "collusion" and play, if the end of this year is not listed, the author can accuse its just a PPT product... )

So, take a look at how the Precision 7750 scores in graphics performance tests in the entertainment range with dual graphics and only display modes.
    The test scores of 3DMark benchmarking software are compared with those of other models in the same category, such as the figure below. Please note the difference between dual-display and single-display. The Precision 7750 scored slightly higher than the 7740.
    [​IMG]

RTX supports ray-tracing technology, and the test score using 3DMark benchmarking software matches that of other models in its class, such as the one below. At this point, the Precision 7750's score is slightly lower than the previous generation 7740 by about 5% and higher than the ThinkPad P73 by about 3%.
    [​IMG]

In terms of VR performance, the test scores of VRMark benchmark software are compared with those of other models in the same category, such as the figure below. Please note that some models for comparison have no single or double display scores. The comparison found that all models scored higher in the single-display mode than in the dual-display mode -- and both Cyan Room and Orange Room scored significantly lower in the dual-display mode, with only the Blue Room scoring close to normal.
    [​IMG]

The difference between the scores of dual-display mode and single-display mode is so small that it can hardly be remembered. The following is Precision 7750 that USES SteamVR Performance Test to get results. The left is the result of dual-display mode, and the right is the result of single-display mode:
    [​IMG]

For comparison and reference, the following two figures are attached. The first figure is the Test result of SteamVR Performance Test of Precision 7740 and ThinkPad P73 under the dual-graphics card mode:
    [​IMG]

The second image shows the test results of the ThinkPad P71, Precision 7730, and Terrans Force X711 in display mode.
    [​IMG]

To sum up, the Precision 7750's graphics performance in the entertainment range doesn't disappoint, and it certainly doesn't come as a surprise -- it's the same thing as last year.
    Will the same be true for graphics performance at the professional level?
    In the next professional graphics performance test, the author met an accident, toss about for three days and three nights...

(Picture under production, to be updated)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Evahum, NelBro78 and Aaron44126 like this.
  2. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The SPECgpcViewperf 12.1 benchmark scores are as follows. In this chart, Precision's 7750 dual-graphics mode score is 6% lower than its predecessor's 7740. I didn't keep track of the 7740's score last year, so there's no way to compare it, but the 7750's score is a huge improvement over dual-graphics -- 34%!
    [​IMG]

The SPECgpcViewperf 13 benchmark software test scores were compared as follows. The Precision 7750 dual-graphics mode score was 3% higher than the previous generation 7740. The 7750's stand-alone graphics card scored 20% higher than the dual-graphics model.
    [​IMG]

The SPECwpc 2.1 benchmark software test scores were compared as follows. The Precision 7750 dual-graphics mode score was 6% lower than the previous version's 7740. 7750 own discrete graphics mode score more than double graphics mode, in the Media and Entertainment, Product Development item score increased significantly, but a noticeable decline in Financial Services subentry scores, resulting in total about 2% less than double graphics mode, the author estimates because the discrete graphics mode test arrangement in the later, Precision 7750 installed at this time a large number of applications, perhaps with the test showing effect.
    [​IMG]

When using SPECworkstation 3.02 benchmark software testing, the author had previously mentioned "met with an accident, for three days and three nights" - in a graphics card test, SPECworkstation 3.02 unable to complete the test, after about 4 hours each run gets stuck, I repeat many times, restart the Precision 7750, disable all has nothing to do procedure, can make its smooth finished the test.
    According to SPEC's official website, the latest version of SPECworkstation is 3.04 and the program installation file size is 9GB, so it has to be downloaded first -- however, the test data of 3.02 left by the previous model is not good for comparison.
    Fortunately, after switching to the stand-alone graphics mode, the author ran SPECworkstation 3.02 for the test, but everything worked fine. The test scores were compared as follows: The Precision 7750's total score for the stand-alone graphics mode was a little more than 4% higher than the 7740's dual graphics mode.
    [​IMG]

After finding that SPECworkstation 3.02 in the independent graphics card mode could be tested normally, the author came back and set the Precision 7750 to two-line mode again. After rerunning SPECworkstation 3.02 for testing, the test couldn't be run on the first office caffe which was never run on the GPU:

A closer examination of the Settings revealed that the OpenCL/CUDA Settings on SPECworkstation 3.02, under the default Settings, are set to Intel UHD graphics card by default, and this choice happens to support only Caffe and FAH.
    This may be why the Precision 7750 got stuck when running to caffe on SPECworkstation 3.02 in dual graphics mode -- but last year, when the author tested the same UHD630+Quadro RTX5000 dual graphics card on the 7740, everything went well.
    Is the video card driver different problem? Is it due to a different setup in the Precision 7750 BIOS? How about using the latest version of SPECworkstation 3.04 test?
    Due to the relationship between time and length, the author will continue to expand this point in the subsequent serials, which will be temporarily omitted here.

In conclusion, the Precision 7750's graphics performance in the professional range is neither disappointing nor surprising -- for the same reason: the CARDS are made and cooked the same way they were last year, but with a slimmer charging bowl.

The hard disk
    As mentioned above, this time I placed an order and selected 1TB M.2 2280 SSD with Precision 7750, the Class 50 with the best performance and the highest capacity. The specific model is PC601A NVMe SK Hynix 1TB, as shown in the figure below:

After one week's continuous installation and running of various Benchmark software, the author still achieved a good result: the score of 1GB using AS SSD Benchmark was 4307.
    Other users have scored more than 5,100 points with it, but it may have been tested on a desktop, just for reference.

CrystalDiskMark test results are as follows:

Based on the comprehensive analysis of the query data and the above test results, the author believes that the performance of PC601A 1TB belongs to the excellent level of existing NVMe SSDS and plays a good role in 96-layer stacked granulation SSDS. But its SLC Cash is only 8GB, compared with 20GB or even 40GB of other good products (like Samsung's PM981a). But compared to the Samsung PM981a, the price/performance ratio is much better - and I'm not talking about DELL's official price, I'm talking about the market price.
    As I mentioned in Serial 1, "On the bottom of this Precision 7750, there is no SSD door... When you need to quickly disassemble SSDS in this area, you really need to do a lot of work. In order to accurately test the performance and functions of the Precision 7750 in the original configuration as far as possible, the author does not plan to add a hard disk for testing. Instead, it is arranged to install Samsung 1TB 960Pro 2TB SSD, 2TB 960Pro 2TB SSD and M.2 SATA SSD in the subsequent serial loading, so as to fully test the performance and functions of the hard disk.

Ok, so now that the four key Performance components of Precision 7750 --CPU, memory, GPU, and hard disk -- have been tested, I'm ready to test its System Performance.

First of all, on the basis of overseas NBR BBS (http://forum.notebookreview.com/) users requirement, the author specially this time increased by using UserBenchMark benchmark test software, to test the integrated performance.
    UserBenchMark was used to test Precision 7750 in the dual video card state, and the results were shown in the figure below, indicating that the video card performance was insufficient. Gaming performance was rated as Gaming 17% Surfboard, while Desktop was rated as 116% UFO (as fast as UFO). , which has a 97 percent rating from Workstaion. .
    [​IMG]

As the author found in the previous tests that the Precision 7750 had different performance differences when dual-graphics card and single-display state were different, the Precision 7750 entered the separate graphics card mode again without any delay and ran UserBenchMark again. The results were as follows -- not surprisingly, the Gaming+Desktop+ Workstaion three displayed UFO.
    [​IMG]

Then, the Precision 7750 was set back to the dual graphics card state and tested with PassMark PerformanceTest 10.0. The result is as follows: the total score is 5054.4.
    [​IMG]

When compared with the results of the four models in the PassMark database, the Precision 7750 ranked second overall, higher than its predecessor, the 7740, its younger brother, the 7750, and rival ThinkPad P73, but much lower than the MSI GT75 Titan 8SG in the standalone graphics mode.
    [​IMG]

Note: The hardware configuration of the four models for comparison in the figure above is as follows:
    MSI GT75 Titan 8SG: Intel I9-9980HK +RTX 2080(Mobile)+2*32GB DDR4-2667
    DELL Precision 7740: Intel I9-9880H +RTX 5000(Laptop)+ 2*32GB DDR4-2667
    DELL Precision 7550: Intel I7-10875H +RTX 5000(Laptop)+ 4*8GB DDR4-2997
    Lenovo ThinkPad P73: Intel Xeon E-2276m +RTX 5000(Laptop)+(16GB+2*32GB)DDR4-2667

In the dual graphics card state, the scores of Precision 7750 subitems were compared as follows:
    The first image shows a comparison of CPU scores. The I7-10875H on the DELL Precision 7750 performs well, ranking first with a score of 17,993, nearly 14% higher than the same CPU on the 7550, which seems to be the heat dissipation advantage of the larger body size. The i9-9980HK, Intel's flagship mobile CPU on the MSI GT75 Titan 8SG, scored 16,963, about 7% lower than the 7750.

The second image is a comparison of 2D graphics scores, with RTX 2080(Mobile) on the MSI GT75 Titan 8SG leading the way. The other four scored less than half as well as RTX 2080(Mobile), but 7750 scored about 9 percent better.

In the third picture, the 3D graphics score is compared. The DELL Precision 7750 ranks the second, about 7% behind the first MSI GT75 Titan 8SG. But significantly more than the other three.

The fourth picture shows the memory score comparison. The significance of purchasing the Precision 7750 for the official DDR4-3200 at a high price finally comes into play: it has the highest score, which is more than 10% higher than other models.

Taking a look at the Precision 7750's score in standalone graphics mode, it's no surprise that the Precision 7750's score grew dramatically, reaching a total of 7819.2!
    [​IMG]

In PassMark's existing database, the Precision 7750 was ranked first in the total number of models selected for comparison with three models that were also in unique state.
    [​IMG]

Note: The hardware configuration of the three models for comparison in the figure above is as follows:
    DELL Precision 7740: Intel I9-9980HK +RTX 4000(Laptop)+ 3*32GB DDR4-2667
    MSI GT75 Titan 8SG: Intel I9-9980HK +RTX 2080(Mobile)+2*32GB DDR4-2667
    Lenovo ThinkPad P73: Intel Xeon E-2276m +RTX 5000(Laptop)+2*32GB DDR4-2667

In the independent video card state, the scores of Precision 7750 sub-items are compared as follows:

Special reminder to readers:
    The reason for the sharp increase in the Precision 7750's scores at this point is that, in the 2D graphics sub-category, all models showed a sharp increase in their scores -- all over 1020, exactly the same as the RTX 2080(Mobile) on the ESports MSI GT75 Titan 8SG, which seems to be set only to the standalone graphics state.
    In addition, as mentioned above, the SPECworkstation 3.02 test stops unusually in a dual graphics card state, although this may be an isolated case...
    So, it seems better to set the Precision 7750 to a separate graphics card than to make sure that all applications can fully perform as well as the Precision 7750.

Postscript:
    In the PassMark PerformanceTest test score above, there is also a sub-item called Disk Mark, which is shown in the picture above. The author does not elaborate on this for two reasons:
    1.7750 There are 4 installation locations of M.2 hard disks, whose hard disks can be replaced and strengthened, so the test results at this time are not certain;
    2. Subsequent serialization will be carried out.

Finally, it is the Precision 7750 that USES the old, acquired BY UL, PCMark benchmarking software to test scores and comparisons.
    The test scores of PCMark 8 are compared with the following picture. The Precision 7750 scored about 4 percent lower than the 7740 I tested last year. That's about 2% higher than the ThinkPad P73 I tested last year.

The test scores of PCMark 10 are compared with the following picture. The Precision 7750 scores are comparable to the 7740 I tested last year. The ThinkPad P73, which I tested last year, is also high and low.

Special Note:
    In dual graphics, the Precision 7750's PCMark 10 score was unusually low. It seems to me that a study of the Precision 7750's BIOS Settings might change this anomaly.
    Of course, also do not rule out is the DELL official graphics card driver problems, there is great room for optimization. Take the ThinkPad P71 that the author has been using for more than three years, has no reinstallation of the operating system, long time 24*7 boot does not close, mount 2 2TB 960Pro SSD+2 3.84TB PM863a 2.5-inch SATA SSD, using LatencyMon check system driver status, is a green!

In the figure above, lowest measured interrupt to process latency is only 1057 microseconds, which is also the result of the simultaneous testing of multiple programs.
    Visible, the optimization of the driver, is how important!
    [​IMG]

This is the end of serial 2. As planned, serial 3 will be sent out next week.
    Serializable 3 should be the Precision 7750's port connection, keyboard and mouse, screen display, stability and comfort, and environmental emissions. However, with questions from existing readers, I can't guarantee that serial 3 will be the end of this review, and I'll see you later.
    Stay tuned!

t456, NelBro78 and JustAnApprentice like this.
  3. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    NelBro78 likes this.
  4. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Definitively, thank you very much :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.