The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Trials and tribulations installing a 1070 in a M6800

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by JEAMN, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information.
    Do you have ThrottleStop activated to force all cores to run at max speed?
    How else do you know how much power the whole system draws.?
    Any specific tool?

2. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No throttle stop, just buggy DSDT that didn't supply the CPU power states. =)

I just plug my adapter into a kill-a-watt to measure whole system draw.

3. supermoth

Reputations:
    What was the total wattage use with the 1070gtx installed?

4. JEAMN

Reputations:
    It topped out at 204W on a 240W power adapter

5. supermoth

Reputations:
    So,there is enough overhead to let the system run at full power both for the gpu and cpu.That is odd.
    I am sure you will be able to overcome this hicup.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    VRMs on the board might not be able to handle that much current to both the CPU and GPU simultaneously... (Remember: designed for 100W GPU)
    The system does reserve power to allow for charging the battery while still running at full load...

7. JEAMN

Reputations:
    I got a hold of a 330w AC adapter and tried it out. No effect on the overall power draw (Still capped at about 205W from the wall) or overall performance. The adapter was noticeably cooler though, which is nice.

8. supermoth

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.How is the programming going?

9. JEAMN

Reputations:
    I've managed to get a working dynamic patch that dynamically finds a spot in the ACPI NVS memory to stick the problematic memory ranges. The biggest benefit to that is that it's a bit more robust when you make BIOS config changes, most notably Optimus. (Enabling Optimus shifts the memory map). Embedded audio and HDMI audio, hotpluging HDMI/Display Port/ USB/ etc all work fine.

I do have to reinstall drivers every time I enable or disable Optimus in the BIOS. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I'm still having issues with power management settings for the CPU. There is something random about it that I haven't solved. Sometimes I boot and it's locked to 3.6Ghz (maximum for all cores active), sometimes it's at 2.9Ghz (baseline). Both of those are stable. But sometimes, if you start a game, it will crash within a few minutes. After a reboot, it will run fine for hours.

I've got all the code and relevant files here: https://github.com/sinai007/m6800-pascal , but it's not in a releasable state.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is not unusual, the discrete GPU actually gets a different hardware/device ID depending on whether Optimus is enabled or not so it shows up as a different/new device if you change it. Normally, Windows automatically picks up the change and installs the appropriate driver a few seconds after the boot/login screen appears. However in the case of these GPU upgrades, it doesn't see a signed driver available so you will be left to manually install it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.