The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Upgrading video card in dell latitude d620

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by stm-wrestler, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stm-wrestler

stm-wrestler Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am looking at buying my laptop for college through my college, and they offer the latitude with basically everything for a killer price.

Question is, is the dell latitude able to support a 512mb graphics card like a 7950? Because it only comes with a 256mb one.

Thanks,
    Nicho

2. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Oh god no...the 7950 is not designed for anything less than a 17" notebook! Plus, the Dell GPU is a Dell design and will only work if they want it to work. That being said, the only choices you'll ever have are the choices you see in the customization pages at Dell for the 620. Given its size, anything more powerful would probably roast the laptop...that cooling solution can only take so much!

If you read up a little in the GPU Guide, you'll find that a graphics card memory is not all it is cracked up to be when determining graphics card performance. There are definitely some 64MB and 128MB cards that can run circles around a 256MB or 512MB card...and vise versa. The core of the card is what matters the most.

If you have a deal with your university, you probably can get a discount on some of the other machines too right? Because you might want to look at the new 1520 with a very powerful 8600GT graphics card...pretty much one of the most powerful out there (approaches what a 17" 7900GS could do).

3. stm-wrestler

stm-wrestler Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, I appreciate the info.

The graphics card that comes with it is a

256mb nvidia quadro nvs 110m turbocache

How will this run games such as fear or bf2?

4. Greg

Reputations:
    That card is about the same as an nVidia Geforce Go 7300 card. I don't have enough experience with those games to really know how it would perform though. You might want to search the gaming forum and look for similar questions about the 7300.

5. Awesome laptops

Awesome laptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    might be alright on reasonably low settings and resolutions

6. stm-wrestler

stm-wrestler Newbie

Reputations:
    I appreciate the input guys. but I think I am just going to buy a gaming laptop instead of going with this one, even though it is a great deal.

7. Znender

Znender Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should run FEAR and BF2, at relatively low-medium settings.
    The performance of the 7300 isn't exceedingly well but it's a heck of a lot better than the GMA 950.

8. phatboidan

phatboidan Newbie

Reputations:
    i have a question about the dell latitude d620's graphic card. Is it possible to upgrade its current graphics card (integrated accelerator 950) with one that you can buy at the stores? If I can . . . what's a decent one that won't burn out my laptop? Thanks for any advice.

9. ifti

ifti Undiscovered

Reputations:
    It is not possible to upgrade graphics in the D620. The GPU is integrated onto the mainboard, so the only way to change GPU's is to change the mainboard.

10. Greg

Reputations:
    You can never upgrade an IGP, ever.

What he said. The dedicated cards for Dell's can be upgraded...but only with parts meant specifically for that notebook (in this case a D620). But IGPs can never be upgraded.

Oh, and do not bring old threads back...make a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.