The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

USB3 e-dock with M6500 that doesn't have USB3

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by tgz, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I've been running M6300's for 7 or 8 years [buying used ones] and am looking at migrating to the M6500. Just started researching them a few days ago. I also run D630's [started with a d505] and have perused this site many times for info, wonderful resource.

I read some of the early M6500's did not have the USB3 option. Looking over the e-docks [I'm used to the old d-docks with my other machines] I see there are several iterations, at least 2 of which have the pair of usb3 ports. So my question is, will these dock ports transmit usb3 data rates to an M6500 without usb3? Wondering if they left the capability within the dock/laptop connection.

Wanted to know in case I see a great deal on one that doesn't have usb3, if I can still reach it by using a dock.
    thank you

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Doubt it. Back then, USB3 was a separate chip on the motherboard, not integrated into the chipset. USB3 ports on the dock would also need USB3 support in the system. The e-port docks do not have any "processing" inside, they are just port replicators that hook up to other ports not exposed on the system chassis.

You could use an ExpressCard to add USB3 support. (Wouldn't apply to ports on the dock, though.)

3. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, thanks, yeah I thought it might be a stretch that it would work. Fortunately if I understand correctly it was just for a brief period some had no usb3 then Dell added it to all the units.

4. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh! didn't see that before, excellent! hmmm, interesting! Can't think of an application at this time but I suppose this also implies that if the M6500 already had the 2 usb3 ports you could expand to more? thanks

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, the ports would be right on the ExpressCard. Look up "usb3 expresscard" on Google or Amazon and you should get some options. I think these do require a separate power hookup that you would have to connect if you are going to plug in power-hungry devices that do not have their own external power (i.e. USB-powered external hard drives).

6. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The earlier batch of M6500 did not have USB3 ports. If you managed to get one of these, just get the left I/O panel (or was it the right I/O panel) with the USB3 ports and swap them. However, that's provided that you are comfortable with opening up or disassemble the M6500 and swapping parts.

Do not try to use the M6500 with a docking station with USB3 ports. It will cause some funky hardware issues later on which will give u A LOT OF GRIEF.

I was using a docking station with USB3 ports, as I had my M6800, with my M6500 and it caused all sorts of funny hardware issues that cannot be resolved. However, the issues go away once I dock it with an older docking station with USB2.0 ports. There was no issue with the docking station with USB3 ports when I dock my M6800 with it. So go figure!

7. tgz

tgz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ah! excellent info, thanks! I haven't purchased an M6500 yet, gathering info so I can act swiftly when I see a deal. OK, I guess this implies that the USB3 panel hooks up to an existing circuit on the MOBO for USB3, different than what the USB2 panel is using? Or is the USB3 capability in the panel itself.

Great info again! Initial search found a few infos about the USB3 on the dock working at USB2 speeds. Is that what you're referring to? I clone/mirror the 1920x1200 native laptop image from my M6300 to an external 1920x1200 monitor, another interest in the e-dock with an M6500 was the DVI output for my current KVM setup. I have never messed with a "display port" but I gather you can get a display port to DVI adapter.
    thanks

8. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your assumption would be correct. It will be trying to link up with the Intel USB3 chipset in the laptop but will find the USB2.0 instead.

The USB3 will work at USB2 speeds when no funky issues occur. However, when the hardware issues start popping up you will start to loose random ports or hardware on the docking station. For example, the LAN port will malfunction or totally disappear for no reason. So too will the video ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.