The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro 1400 5.1 Sound Card Question...

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by shah120, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shah120

shah120 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just received my first laptop - Vostro 1400 and I am extremely happy with it. However, I have a few concerns about the sound. I know the SigmaTel does not support 5.1 and I was look at other alternatives. So far I have found:

1) Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook ($65) + docking module (~$40)

2) Turtle Beach USB SRM (~$75)

Which one would produce better sound? Which one takes more power to run on battery - ExpressCard or USB?

Also, I have read a few other threads that claim that it is possible to upgrade to the Audigy Advanced HD software package. I called Dell and they said its not possible and I downloaded the drivers/Sound Blaster MB package but it says I cannot upgrade. Is there any other way to upgrade since it is a software update and not hardware?

2. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Express Card is a faster transfer, and the Xpress card is a better sound card anyway, so id get that one, also in my opinion the expresscard fits in there and feels more secure, that could just be me though, Be careful though, i knoe PC Cards run hot, so Xpress card most likely does also. Still i reccromend the Sound Blaster

3. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    I doubt if the interface type matters much. USB should have more than enough bandwidth for any sound device. Other aspects of the sound device will matter more than the interface type. Although the expresscard has the advantage of fitting nicely in the slot. And the USB has the advantage of also working with computers that don't have an expresscard slot.

4. shah120

shah120 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone own the Turtle Beach SMR? I just want to know how the sound compares in general.

Also can I still get an upgrade to Audigy Advanced HD software package? If so, how?

5. Josephx

Josephx Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.