The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro 1400 5.1 surround sound SOLUTION with onboard sound

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Josephx, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josephx

Josephx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I found out how to connect my 5.1 sound system to my vostro 1400 notebook with 3 ports infront using the stock SigmaTel drivers. I am not sure if any other notebook in the range has 2 headphone +1 mic jacks so this solution may be model specific (1400).

Plug in a 3.5" cable into the front mic port (and while you are at it, you can also plug in the front cable to the left port and the center cable to the centre port)

A SigmaTel window will pop out, Click on the right port and select Device Connected: Rear Speakers. Do the same for the centre port selecting Centre speakers.

To test the speakers, go to control panel, sound, manage devices, select Speakers/headphones, configure, select 5.1 sound and click the individual speakers to test it.

To calibrate the speakers based on room and speaker layout, click "properties", "Enhancement", "Room correction" and follow the instructions. This requires the microphone on the screen to be enabled.

DONE!!! You have a fully functioning 5.1 sound system without additional hardware (apart from the speakers).

Cheers. Hope this helps.

The attachment is of the Sigmatel window.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.