The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro 1510/1710 owners: Does your display have backlight bleeding?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Jlbrightbill, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlbrightbill

Jlbrightbill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw a couple screenshots in a review that gave me the OMGWTF face. Something like this: :eek: but bigger and larger. Anyway, here are the source shots (X3100, WXGA):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to think Dell isn't releasing displays that are that atrocious, but those shots are pretty damning. As a comparison, here's a shot of my Vostro 1500 display (8600M GT, WSXGA+):

[​IMG]

And for viewing convenience, I spliced the two images together:

[​IMG]

Different source lighting, but mine was taken in a darker room (As evidenced by the visibility of the keyboard), so if anything mine should look worse. Possible reasons why mine would look better: Resolution and video card. However, I've seen integrated systems with WXGA screens before (Including my previous Inspiron system) and they've never looked this bad. The Vostro 1500 system has not only a much blacker black, the middle picture is brighter and more vibrant.

So Vostro 1510 or 1710 owners, are you noticing similar backlight bleeding on your displays? The more I read about and see reviews of the new Vostro **10 refresh, the more it seems as if Dell was losing Inspiron/XPS sales to the Vostro so they decided to seriously downgrade the machine to drive those potential customers to their more expensive systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.