The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro - External Monitor

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by JLee1469, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLee1469

JLee1469 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's the deal. Got a Vostro 1400 with a 8400GS and I just recently did a clean reformat using the included restoration disc. Installed all the drivers from the Dell support site and the laptop seems well.

Only thing not working is plugging an external monitor. Vista detects the monitor and the monitor seems to sense the signal (meaning the no signal message goes away). However, there is no picture. Tested with different monitor and different VGA cables so there no issue with those. Did I forget to install anything extra?

2. JLee1469

Reputations:
    Oh and I just realized I didn't post this in the correct forum, please move it.

3. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    I doubt you forgot to install anything. I dunno about Vista, but in XP you need to specifically tell your OS to extend your desktop onto the new monitor. You're probably encountering something similar here.

4. atbnet

atbnet Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you used the nvidia control panel? What about using FN+F8?

5. JLee1469

Reputations:
    I have extended through the Windows display options, screen is still black. FN+F8 doesn't work either, external monitor is still recognized in NVidia control panel.

Is it possible my VGA port went bad? Weird it worked when I connected it to a projector a week before I reformatted, hence me believing the fresh install of Windows has something to do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.