The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro line to have Montevina

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by bunta, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    Of course. They're not going to just drop the 17" machines.

2. CeeNote

CeeNote Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks. Sorry I can't, I've already returned it yesterday. I had a few more pics but they were really blurry so I deleted them. I decided not to keep the 1710 because I needed a higher resolution screen. I did like the laptop though.

3. bunta

bunta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    God damn this montevina!! Pls come out already!!!

4. CeeNote

Reputations:
    I agree. I don't think I'm gonna bother waiting though. I'll just order an xps 1530 tomorrow.;)

5. bunta

Reputations:
    Quick questions on the vostro 1710.

- The material its made off is some sort of plastic i heard... now is this the type of plastic where if your hands are a tad oily, you would leave marks on the surface that are hard to remove unless we use a damp cloth??

- How is the performance on that thing as in speed. I dont game AT ALL or run any highly intensive programs either. But i like when everything loads up with no lag because im pretty quick in starting and shutting programs on a daily basis. I would click on several things at a time...:eek:

6. bunta

Reputations:
    Your going from a 17inch to a 15inch?

I hate it when all the ports are on the side. even the powerDC ! urgh!

7. bunta

Reputations:
    Dual hard drive?

8. CeeNote

Reputations:
    -The material is some kind of plastic though it feels different and somehow sturdier than the plastic used in other laptops. The general surface doesn't leave any fingerprints. The only part of the laptop that does is the rear lid which is glossy and thus a fingerprint magnet.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the 1710 does come with a cleaning cloth the wipe off fingerprints from the glossy part of the surface.

-I got a higher end 1710 and the performance was impressive. If you don't game or run any intensive programs, you won't need a t8300 processor. Just make sure to get 2+ gigs of ram to run vista comfortably and re-install the os once you get it but this goes for all laptops.

Yea screen size doesn't really matter to me plus I will get a LED screen which isn't available on the vostro 1710.

The port layout is a bit awkward especially that all the usb ports are on the side. Not one is at the rear. The same goes for the powerdc port.

Hope this helps!

9. bunta

Reputations:
    thanks for the helpful replies CeeNote. i just want something that has dual hard drive. It is very important to me.. As of right now the only 17" laptops that has dual hard drives that i actually like are the VAIO AR series, Asus M70 and then the Vostro 1710.

I just cant seem to decide plus this whole Montevina transition is further screwing with my decisions.

10. CeeNote

Reputations:
    You're welcome! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.