The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Weird external usb-c nvme drive problem.

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Asxetos, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Asxetos

Asxetos Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys i could really use some help,

I bought an external USB-C -NVME enclosure (an Orico M2PV-C3 with RTL9210 controller) to use as a fast backup device with a spare Samsung PM961 drive i own.
    The system is a Latitude 5580 i5-6440hq with a Thunderbolt3 - USB-C port.

The problem is the drive (or the enclosure) works normally only when plugged in a USB3 (type-A) port.
    When i plug it in the USB-C port, the drive is detected, an explorer window pops up with the contents, and after a couple of seconds the window closes and the drive (and the enclosure) disappear from the system.

Looking at the device manager when i plug the device, i can see the Intel USB 3.1 host controller loading (only USB 3.0 host controller is loaded normally), only to unload a few seconds later.
    No message displayed, no trace in the event viewer about this.
    I tested the enclosure with a second Samsung PM981 drive, same result.

The enclosure works fine on a NUC7 and in a Latitude 7480 (in the USB-C port).
    Funny thing, the enclosure works OK if i connect it in the USB-C port through my Thunderbolt3 hub (the drive in the hub's USB-C port)

Bios, drivers, enclosure firmware are the latest.

I am suspecting the problem is the laptop, not the enclosure.

Any clue is welcome
    Thanks.