The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

What is wrong with the Dell WD19DC/TB docks?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by r0tati0n, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0tati0n

r0tati0n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

in my company I have a Dell Precision 7540 laptop.
    I have problems with the docking stations.

At first I got a WD19TB, screens stayed black sometimes. I returned it to IT, got a WD19DC instead. This worked fine until recently. The DC dock did not recognize USB keyboard, so I could only log on to Windows 10 with the laptop keyboard. And the monitor acted up again, so I returned it.

I use a USB-C mobile adapter DA-300, which currently works for me. Currently.

What is wrong with the docks? I read there were some problems with early models, which were exchanged.
    I have not found a firmware update for these either, I updated the BIOS of the laptop to the latest version.

2. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its really hard to find any reviews on those docks. I found one hint on Amazon from "Vince":

There is an issue many people will run into, regarding messages of insufficient power, or the dock not working properly. The setting to fix this is in the advanced power plan settings named: PCI Express. Change this from "Maximum power savings" to "Off". This should resolve any weird dock issues. Dell still isn't perfect, but at least this fix works.

Could that help in your case as well?

3. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried the PCI Express setting with my TB18DC: keyboard and mouse attached to the dock started to stutter or stop working, while the laptop keyboard and touchpad showed no problems at all. Hmmm. Switched back to "Max power settings", all good again.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With these systems you need to have PCIe LSPM to "max power savings" or it will be running the fan at moderate levels all of the time...

SvenC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.