The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Yet another "My new Latitude D630" post

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Wloxen, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wloxen

Wloxen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody:

Yesterday I ordered my new Latitude D630 after A LOT of days investigating and trying to decide which model (XPS or Latitude?) and configuration to choose. During my search, this web and forum became essential to wipe out doubts, so first of all I must say THANKS to all of you.

I was looking for a computer which I could use daily when I'm away of my desktop computer (holidays, travelling, etc.), so I preferred a sturdy and not too big but complete computer to use outside the house or "on the road". My usual tasks, beside the basics (internet, word processing, etc.) involves database and web software developing, and very basic image editing, using only Linux. I like very few not very complex games, although I would like to spend more time with basic 3D modelling than I can actually spend.

Finally, beating my insane love for the XPS aesthetics, I choose the Latitude (although I like it too) because of its supposedly superior reliability (found many posts with problems with the XPS and very few with Latitude). I'm really sure XPS is a good computer, but I simply think Latitude is best.

My machine is in production state right now (maybe in Limerick (Ireland), because I'm in Europe), and its configuration is T8100 processor with Intel GMA X3100, 2 GB RAM (I'll add up another 2 GB as soon as I get it), 160 GB 5.400 rpm disk and 6 cell battery.

I mainly chose that processor (minimal Penryn) and graphics card (integrated) to maximize battery usage time and minimize heat generation, assuring some performance. My biggest point of doubt were the graphics card, but at the end I came to the conclusion that the X3100 would suffice to some 3D OpenGL effects and simple games; I've read that although it's an integrated card, it's the first "serious" Intel try to make a "real" graphics card.

I hope I've taken a good decission.

P.S.: I have to say it's a real pity I couldn't buy my machine without Windows. I could configure my alternative option (XPS M1330, selected parts) without it, but with the Latitude I had no option. If Dell is really going to support OSS as they say, they should really give the option between Linux or Windows with ALL configurations and models. I really can't find a reason not to do it (at much I may admit that you can restrict some hardware components because of compatibility issues, but why can't I buy a Linux Latitude with the SAME components as the Linux XPS I configured?). I can't really understand it without thinking in misterious comercial agreements with "certain" companies...

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed about the Linux options, would be very nice to have a choice.

I wouldn't worry, you'll like your Latitude. :)

Hope you have fun with it :)

Ricky

3. kimnicho

kimnicho Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm typing on my reliable d630 right now. I am traveling this week and carried it with me in my Targus backpack and it didn't feel heavy at all. I might get a smaller laptop soon but only because I love laptops not b/c I don't like this one. It has run smoothly from day one. My only "complaint" is the lack of SD card reader but I bought a PCMIA adapter and reader. You will love it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.