The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

7730/7530 Battery life with only integrated graphics

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    But the XPS has it apparently?

And the precision, and the HP Zbook not. Seems to be the HP/Dell don't think battery life people with do work without sGPUs in workstations.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unless something has the the latest generation, the XPS doesn't have an option to run totally without the dGPU. If your system has a dGPU, then it is basically stuck in the "Optimus" configuration — All displays are connected to the Intel GPU, and the dGPU should be "off" unless it is needed. (Same goes for the Precision 55X0.)

3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    That's precisely what I mean: the XPS, with the 'normal' Optimus configuration, achieves 10-12 hours on a single charge. What is so different about the Precision that its battery life plummets when a dGPU is installed?

4. Kyle

Reputations:
    Sorry, I meant what Ionising_Radiation said. I should have been more clear.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    @SvenC, @Kyle, I've been speaking to Dell Support about this matter, and I brought up this forum post to them. They requested for battery reports so that I could forward it to them. May I ask if both of you could generate a battery report:
    Code:
    powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery-report.html"
    and upload the resulting HTML file, so I can forward it to Dell? Apparently the technicians want to investigate why some systems have much better battery life than others. Do ensure to remove any personally identifiable information (like names, IP addresses, etc.) from your files, as a privacy measure. Thanks very much.

If either of you don't mind, could you share your Service Tags, too, via PM? Thanks very much.

Kyle likes this.
  6. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here is my report. I hope it is good enough without service tag.

See the 26th of April where I explicitly lowered the power mode on battery to slider position 2 of 4 for light work. That got me 9 to 10 hours. For real work, if on battery, I use slider position 3 or 4, which is more like 3 to 6 hours.

Attached Files:

Ionising_Radiation and Kyle like this.
  7. Kyle

Reputations:
    Thanks Ionising_Radiation for taking up this matter with Dell, and it's fantastic that Dell techs want to investigate this issue.

I can generate the report, but I rarely, if ever, use Windows. I'm a linux user, so I'm not sure if booting into windows and doing just the battery report will be useful?
    One thing I could do is when I leave the house, boot into windows and keep it on for the day. Not sure if this will be useful as it is a "no-use" scenario?

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    The thing is the battery report is generated over the lifetime of the Windows install, so even if you only ran the battery down in Windows once or twice, I'm sure it'll be useful.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. Kyle

Reputations:
    The question is how do I run it down without being actively involved?
    Literally, the only work I've done in windows for the past year is: install windows updates, install MS office, read some drm'd pdfs, and fill in some web forms that were not working in linux.

If I boot into windows, open up a webbrowser and log into gmail so there is some automatic periodic activity which I'm away at work, will it be enough?

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I would suppose so—provided Windows doesn't make your computer go to sleep! So you'd have to disable that particular setting. :)

Kyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.