The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7530 - Undervolting using EFI Variables

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by harmandeep, Nov 26, 2021.

1. harmandeep

harmandeep Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have two Dell mobile workstations - Precision 7530 and 7540. I am looking for assistance with Undervolting using EFI variables.
    After updating System Firmware, undervolting was disabled which was then fixed changing few EFI variables.

Disable 'CFG Lock': setup_var_3 0x5BD 0x0
    Disable 'Overclocking Lock': setup_var_3 0x659 0x0
    Enable 'OverClocking Feature': setup_var_3 0x725 0x1

Since Hyper-V is now blocking access to MSR registers, so I cannot use Throttlestop or any such programs to make necessary modifications as MSR registers are protected.
    Hence I want to make TESTED Undervolting changes at System firmware level.

On my Dell Preicison 7530 without Hyper-V, below undervolt settings via throttlstop are stable enough.
    upload_2021-11-26_19-57-19.png

CPU Core = -0.1455mv
    CPU Uncore / Cache = -0.1455mv [please correct me if Uncore is not CPU cache]
    iGPU GT Core = -0.0352mv
    iGPU GT Uncore/unslice = -0.0352mv
    System Agent = -0.0303mv

I want to set these undervolt changes using EFI variables. I have tried the below settinngs but somehow changes are not effective. I have tried many times but to no avail.

setup_var_3 0x72D 0x1 (core voltage offset prefix to -)
    setup_var_3 0x72B 0x91 (core voltage offset to -145)

setup_var_3 0x9D2 0x1 (Uncore voltage offset prefix to -)
    setup_var_3 0x9D0 0x91 (Uncore voltage offset to -145)

setup_var_3 0x9DA 0x1 (GT voltage offset prefix to -)
    setup_var_3 0x9D8 0x23 (GT voltage offset to -35)

setup_var_3 0x9E1 0x1 (GTU voltage offset prefix to -)
    setup_var_3 0x9E3 0x23 (GTU voltage offset to -35)

Can some one please guide me.
    Dell Precision 7530 variables list is attached.

BIOS region dump is available here which can be opened in AMIBCP.

Regards
    Harmandeep

Attached Files:

2. harmandeep

Reputations:
  3. harmandeep

Reputations:
  4. harmandeep

Reputations:
    I found a workaround which is okay for my use case. My dell workstations run 24x7.
    Workaround:

1) Boot without Hyper-V
    [​IMG]

2) Make changes and select options for persistent settings. Persistent settings makes sure that MSR registers settings aren't cleared upon reboot.

upload_2021-11-27_21-43-12.png

3) Upon reboot to OS with Hyper-V, changes will be effective. You cannot see Voltage offsets/MSR registers values but you can observe changes via stress testing and observing temps/fan curve.
    With warm startup, MSR registers are cleared and the workaround procedure has to repeated. This task can be automated with Powershell. Haven't tested s3 sleep but I believe MSR registers will be cleared upon wake.

In my case, 8750h Cinebench score improved by 20%, from 1000 to appox 1200 while temps dropped by 20-25 degrees.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Great post for those on the 7530, without working in the dark and attempting to roll back the firmware.