The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Latitude D630/D680

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by cue928, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cue928

cue928 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any information on their own experiences with either the Latitude D630 or D680? Also, is there any way for a non-business person to get one of these machines? Dell has told me they will only sell them to those who have a tax ID, yet I have heard anecdotal stories of non-business people buyign them.

2. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can just order it off Dell website...I don't think there are any requirements.

3. ChristopherAKAO4

ChristopherAKAO4 Notebook Nut

Reputations:
  4. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) Love mine. Best $1600 I spent in a very, very long time (prices have come down a bit since too). See tagline for my config, including Bluetooth and 4 years of Completecare.

2) Buying direct from Dell is very expensive, unless you have very good coupons or have a corporate account with a good amount of volume. You can *always* get a discount from the website price (or extra add-ins included) if you call up a Dell salesrep.

In my experience, if you are just an individual, buying a pre-made configuration from a reputable seller on eBay is the best way to go. Warranties are transferrable, and the good eBay sellers will help you transfer the warranty.

3) Completecare and the Latitude's warranty is totally worth it. You get to speak to natively English speaking people who work in the good ol' USA, who are very dedicated to solving any hardware related problems you may have. Whereas the other Dell laptops use offshore tech support and language barriers can be an issue.

5. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I agree-the best PC i've used so far has been my D630!

Take a look at the D630 owners lounge-you can see just how pleased people are with them-http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=139422

Dell's having some amazing deals in their outlet store right now! I got my system for $910 shipped!

6. cue928

Reputations:
    Here's the thing: I actually have a Lenovo T61 on order right now but I am thinking about canceling it and getting a Latitude instead. Any thoughts? I've just heard far worse stories about Lenovo's customer service, etc than I have with Dell. Also, do all of the Latitude batteries protrude from the front?

7. Cape Consultant

Cape Consultant SSD User

Reputations:
    Love my D630. It just WORKS! Dave

8. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Only if you get the 9-cell battery on the D630. The D830's 9-cell battery is fully integrated into the chassis of the laptop.

9. dordale

dordale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Love my D630! It does have the 6 cell battery that protrudes slightly from the front, but it doesn't bother me at all. The battery life is awesome--I get 5 to 6 hours while using wi-fi.

I'm a non-business customer, and was able to order from their web site with no problem. They do require a company name though. You can just make one up or put in your own name as the company name.

dordale :)

10. cue928

Reputations:
    Okay, just so I understand: on either the D630/D830, regardless of if you purchase the extended battery or the regular battery, both protrude from the front? Or is one on the back? Sorry for my confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.